Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I went on my first bike ride in about 10 years. I was riding around a lake near by, its a 3.7 mile ride all the way around, there was plenty of people. I doubt i had rode even a quarter of a mile when my chain slipped off. I ride a giant fcr, that I had just bought the day before. As discouraging as it was, I jumped off put the chain back on and rode on. I finished the first lap and felt surprisingly good, considering I didn't know how long I would be able to ride.

In almost the exact same spot as before, my chain slips off, this time I'm a little more frustrated, I jump off and take a look at it, I had a little harder time getting it back on, but as I did, I noticed that one of the wires coming down my frame was loose, I traced it back up and it went to one of my shifters. sure enough I rode for a bit and tried to shift, and it wasn't having it. I rode back to my car and packed up for the day. I'm guessing this is an easy thing to fix, but is it a common problem to happen? Was there something I was doing wrong when I shifted, is there a right/wrong way to shift?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
If you bought the bike at a Local Bike Shop, just take it back to them for adjustment. It should be a quick and easy fix. Even if you didn't buy it at an LBS, they shouldn't charge much to help with this. You shouldn't be able to shift the chain right off the chainring.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
djadams said:
I did buy it from a local shop, and they cover maintenance for a year, but I'm more concerned with this happening more often.

food for thought- if you take it back and they fix it, chances are pretty good it won't happen often

·
TWD
603 Posts
I think your derailleur wire goes slack when it throws the chain and re engages when it picks up on the crank or cog. You are seeing the wire slack because it missed the pick up probably because the derailleur limit is slightly out of whack. It could be happening in the same spot because you working yourself into a cross chain situation where you are in a big ring and small cog or vice versa. Topography factors may be finding you in the same gear at the limit of your derailleur so when you shift you are throwing the chain.
A finely tuned bike can ride cross chained but doesn't like to be shifted from a cross chain. If someone not so skilled assembled your bike, along with the 15 others they did that day, its not perfectly dialed so it is dropping your chain. If you give it another try listen for the derail'er rubbing against the chain and see if you are cross geared.
Take it back and have them check the derailleur adjustment. Then try not to get into a big ring/small cog or small ring/big cog situation. Best to stay one gear off the extremes. Most shops/people will chose to dial in the easy extreme of the derailleur setup being small ring/big cog and if you are just starting out and live in hilly country it will prove more valuable than big ring/small cog.
Just a thought but sounds like a simple derail'er adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.