Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and first post! Hello, forums. So I went on my first ride today, immediately after assembling the bike I got from bikesdirect. It has some 105 components, 700 bucks, seems pretty decent.

I went with 3 other friends, 2 of which were very experienced bikers, on a 20 mile ride. I wasn't at all used to the posture that comes with riding road bikes or my new 54 cm bike ( I'm only 5'6''). Uh... the bottom of my pelvic bone (?) feels bruised and I'm still cramping. I'll probably go on less strenuous rides for a week or two before building up intensity of the rides.

Just wanted to share my experience :]

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
tikkimonkey said:
and first post! Hello, forums. So I went on my first ride today, immediately after assembling the bike I got from bikesdirect. It has some 105 components, 700 bucks, seems pretty decent.

I went with 3 other friends, 2 of which were very experienced bikers, on a 20 mile ride. I wasn't at all used to the posture that comes with riding road bikes or my new 54 cm bike ( I'm only 5'6''). Uh... the bottom of my pelvic bone (?) feels bruised and I'm still cramping. I'll probably go on less strenuous rides for a week or two before building up intensity of the rides.

Just wanted to share my experience :]
Welcome to RBR and the world of road riding.

Some unsolicited advice. You aren't specific about where your discomfort is, so there could be a number of causes. Because you purchased the bike via mail order, you may want to visit your LBS for a fitting. They'll be able to determine if the bike is sized correctly (for you).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had to assemble my bike as well and it has taken a couple weeks to get the adjustments right as far as fit goes anyway. Just make small adjustments and see how it feels, or just take it to your local bike shop.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Great about your first ride.

Yeah, the pelvic could be from using muscles you haven't been using and at 20 miles my guess is you have some burning in your inner thigh, but a good fitting is important. It will definately make you want to ride more.

Stick close to those 2 experienced riders, they can only help you improve.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Awsome first ride. I just switched from MTB to Road and the position is a bit of an adjustment but I am getting used to it. I am used to (because of XC MTB) getting in and out of saddle so not doing that has been my biiggest adj. I was sized for a 58cm so I ordered a Gavin Nouvo for 488 (Sora comp) from an online retailer and am really enjoying the rides. Glad to meet you and enjoy the road. Good advice on bike shop visit. I deal with one and always buy accecories and MTB componets and have bought 3 bikes from them this year so they were glad to look at my mail order bike lol and were actualy suprised at its value and fit. Welcome

rf37

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
If the bike fits you reasonably well, then you've just got to get used to riding on a road bike saddle, which is very skinny and is making contact with body parts that are not used to having that sort of stress.

Take you and your bike to your LBS (Local Bike Shop) and have them make sure that you've got the right size of bike and that it is adjusted to your body and riding style. A "fitting". Should be about $100 or so. Money WELL spent.
OR, if you have a friend who has experience with this, utilize his knowledge. Either way, you need to make sure that the bike has been "fitted" to you. Saddle height, saddle fore and aft, stem height & length, bar & brake lever positioning. This is all very critical to get right to maximize your cycling pleasure and not hurt yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too am new to riding and after buying a used bike that I found on Craigslist I went to my LBS and had him make some adjustments to help me fit the bike better. I learned that my seat was too low therefore not allowing me to get a good power stroke.

As far as the....... ummm...... "pelvis" goes, I am dealing with that as well. A good pair of padded bike shorts has helped a lot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It hurts between my nuts and my butthole. :)...........

I'll see about buying some padded bike shorts, haha.

Thanks for the input, guys.

·
Registered
39 Posts
tikkimonkey said:

Ha that's definitely going to help by getting bike shorts! There's a few types of padding so make sure you find the ones best suited for you :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Get some cycling shorts & use some lube like Noxema, bag balm or Vaseline. That'll help. The other pretty evident problem is that you're not sitting on the seat correctly. What should come in contact with the seat are the Ischial tuberosities, or sit bones. If you reach around behind you, put your hands on the bottom of your butt and push upwards you'll feel them. This is what you should be sitting on. If you can't do that I suggest adjusting your seat so it's easier to do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bikesdirect Experience?

Tikki,

How was the experience dealing w/ bikesdirect. Did the bike come as promised/expected? Was there any damage to the packaging or the bike? Was everything packaged well so that parts couldn't get lost (fall out of holes in box)?

Also, I am a little concerned w/ taking a mail order bike to a LBS. Seems like they'd be less helpful since they didn't sell it. I guess it depends on the store. Any advice from anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine came perfect but im not going to go into 2 much detail because there are people here that really frown on BD for whatever reason. It took me about an hour to put together then I took it to my LBS to get it fine tuned which only took maybe 15 min. The mechanic was quite amazed at the quality of the whole bike in general.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the help WarEagle07. I've seen plenty of posts bad mouthing the cheaper route and plenty warning about the reception you may get from the LBS.

War Eagle back at ya!

I'm an AU grad from 1984.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@wareagle07

Agree with you there. The bike is great!

I just went on my second ride today, an easier 20 miles, and I feel a lot better about riding road bikes. No cramps today!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
simplebiker said:
Thanks for the help WarEagle07. I've seen plenty of posts bad mouthing the cheaper route and plenty warning about the reception you may get from the LBS.

War Eagle back at ya!

I'm an AU grad from 1984.
Speaking for myself (and my previous posts warning against the pitfalls of buying online), going the "cheaper route" is not the reason - and it could be argued whether BD is, in fact, the cheaper route.

My complaints with buying BD (and similar) are that you're essentially on your own with sizing, fitting, final assembly and tune ups. You aren't able to test ride the bike beforehand, and you can expect minimal warranty assistance, if needed. Even then, the bike has to be shipped back at the customers expense.

This is why the online retailers can offer (some) slightly better components than bikes sold through LBS's. They contract out to a manufacturer to build bikes, they're then shipped to BD (or similar) locations, and as orders are processed, shipped to the consumer. The bikes seldom leave the boxes from point of manufacture to consumer, so the online guys basically run a warehouse business (yet some tell you they can size people better than LBS's :confused: ).

Can this work out for a cyclist? Maybe.. sometimes, but only if they're lucky enough to get sizing right, are able to perform the services previously mentioned or pay for them to be done (note the hidden costs). Problem is, even if you go to an LBS for a fitting, if the bike is sized incorrectly, the fitter will be hard pressed to get a good fit for you. So then you're faced with a fit that's 'close enough' or you ship the bike back and try again.

There you have it. It all depends on where a consumer places their priorities. Gear, or fit. Since I ride the bike (and not the components), and have endured the discomfort of ill fitting bikes, I opt for fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PJ352,

I agree that the LBS is the better way to go for service, sizing, fitting etc. I am a novice to road riding and I am certain that I don't have a complete appreciatioin for what it takes to size and fit the bike correctly. I've looked at a lot of bikes and even had one "sizing" done by that laser contraption (LBS talked me into it - I didn't push for it). Seems that the standover is the first critical thing to get right and that's not rocket science. After that I see two paths to take. 1) have the LBS do it either w/ a bike purchase or pay for the service and 2) research and get advice to set it up and tweek it until it's right. Since I'm currently riding a Cycle Pro 10 speed that is easily 35 years old it's obvious that I haven't decided what's the right thing for me. I know myself well enough to know that once I get it set up I won't be doing any mods or upgrades. i.e. I won't be spending a lot extra for new components. The most I would add would be odometer/computer, flashing rear light and water/car key/wallet holders.

The option of buying an online bike with Shimano 105 shifters & derailers (sp) for $700 is certainly attractive enough to at least research and compare. The name brand bike w/ the same components & features would likely cost 2X. I am sure that you know the pricing better than I but that's been my experience w/ shopping so far.

I came on here to learn and get advice from people who have gone both ways (LBS & online). I didn't intend to make any trouble but re-reading my last post I think I could have worded it better.

I really appreciate your knowledge and advice.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
tikkimonkey said:

That is normal for never riding before. The tissue is soft and after a few rides the pain will go away.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
simplebiker said:
PJ352,

I agree that the LBS is the better way to go for service, sizing, fitting etc. I am a novice to road riding and I am certain that I don't have a complete appreciatioin for what it takes to size and fit the bike correctly. I've looked at a lot of bikes and even had one "sizing" done by that laser contraption (LBS talked me into it - I didn't push for it). Seems that the standover is the first critical thing to get right and that's not rocket science. After that I see two paths to take. 1) have the LBS do it either w/ a bike purchase or pay for the service and 2) research and get advice to set it up and tweek it until it's right. Since I'm currently riding a Cycle Pro 10 speed that is easily 35 years old it's obvious that I haven't decided what's the right thing for me. I know myself well enough to know that once I get it set up I won't be doing any mods or upgrades. i.e. I won't be spending a lot extra for new components. The most I would add would be odometer/computer, flashing rear light and water/car key/wallet holders.

The option of buying an online bike with Shimano 105 shifters & derailers (sp) for $700 is certainly attractive enough to at least research and compare. The name brand bike w/ the same components & features would likely cost 2X. I am sure that you know the pricing better than I but that's been my experience w/ shopping so far.

I came on here to learn and get advice from people who have gone both ways (LBS & online). I didn't intend to make any trouble but re-reading my last post I think I could have worded it better.

I really appreciate your knowledge and advice.
No worries. My response was simply to provide some details of what I see as the pitfalls of online buying.

While I understand that everyone wants the most value for their money, buying a road bike isn't the same as buying many other consumables. You ride the bike, so the fit is of utmost importance, because if you're in pain that 105 drivetrain isn't going to help your performance, and it certainly won't make you want to ride longer - or maybe at all. OTOH (as an example) riding a correctly sized, well fitting Tiagra equipped bike, will. Since a reputable LBS provides sizing/ fitting services (among others), the odds of a novice with no idea of their sizing requirements getting a well fitting bike are (IMO) much better when dealing with those shops.

In and of itself, research is fine and I do a fair amount myself, but without some baseline to use for reference, it's not guaranteed of getting you a correctly sized bike. And as I mentioned initially, get sizing wrong and the bike will never fit quite right, Besides, at some point you have to get out and start test riding bikes too see firsthand how they fit/ feel, ride and handle, and you can't do that dealing with the online guys. So the LBS's hold the edge there as well.

BTW, sizing and fit are more about proportions than height or cycling inseam. And while it's obviously desirable to have adaquate standover, it's not the primary concern of a fitter. Once reach requirements, then saddle height and bar drop are determined, standover plays a role in determining what geometry/ frame size would work well for a given rider, but that usually falls into place once the other requirements are known.

Lastly, for the rider with unresolved fit issues, sizing/ fit are more involved than rocket science. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts