Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kestrel Talon

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather bought me a Cilo back in 1984 and I LOVED that bike, rode it until a couple of years ago when it was stolen.

I used to be an avid Mtn. Biker so I didn't do too much road biking for many years. I also used to jog quite a bit, but now pushing 47, my joints aren't caring as much for jogging as I used to and looking to get back into road biking. I'm not going to be doing any major races, just like to ride the streets and trails for good exercise and would like to get back to doing about 20-30 miles a day. Maybe a century ride here or there.

So nothing too expensive, but I want something that lasts quite a long time. I'm kind of torn between four different bikes and would like everyone's opinion based on what I am looking for.

The bikes are:
* Trek Domane
* Cannondale Synapse
* Tomasso Ghisallo
* Kestrel Talon

I'm looking to spend in between $1100-$1500, so any specific models of those would be appreciated.

The Trek and Cannondale are sold by my local shop, which I love the support they have given me through the years, but the Tomasso and Kestrel look like a lot of bike for the money.

Any input would truly be appreciated!

Thanks,
AJ

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
I am biased toward Cannondale, but either the Cannondale or Trek would be good. The Trek's Bontrager wheels have been a weak spot, but you can get a good off-the-shelf wheel set for around $300 and a decent entry level wheel set for under $200 if you have a problem with the Bontragers down the road.

I don't know much about Tomasso, but it looks like a budget off-brand. Same with Kestrel. $1,100 for a full carbon bike sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Cheaper carbon may have voids. Quality control and customer support is unknown at best.

Not to mention that if you have a good relationship with your bike shop, that is priceless. If you buy a bike from them, you will get a free fitting and free follow-up adjustments. If you buy off the internet, you will pay for every little thing that internet bike needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I took the Synapse out for two more spins and rode a few others. I went to another LBS that sold Specialized and took a Roubaix SL4 for a test ride. I loved the look and paint job on the Specialized, however, riding it compared to the Synapse at least for me, a totally inexperienced roadie, it felt like night and day. The Specialized just felt like I was feeling many more bumps and not as smooth of a ride, this was when I was on a relatively good road. The Synapse felt smooth and felt like it had much more stability cornering to me, even though I had a small section of brick road in my neighborhood.

This is HIGHLY subjective, and I am FAR from a roadie or knowing all these details most of you do, it is just how it felt to me and that's what matters, right?

My dilemma though was that the 2017 Synapse Alloy Tiagra only came in (to me) a god awful grey and my LBS only had one 2016 Allow Tiagra in my size with the color that I liked (Black & Green), but with the Sora component set. While I'm sure it is good enough, I'm wanting something that is probably going to last me most of the rest of my riding days. :)

So, I dug deep into the budget, let the wife buy something she wanted to get permission to spend the extra dough and get the model they still sold in Black & Green, the Synapse Carbon 105. I've purchased from my LBS before and the owner remembers me, so I got them to knock some money off a brand new Synapse they had to order.

It should be here next week and I should be on the road next weekend, whoot! I'm stoked and ready to ride, glad I did the test rides, they Synapse just felt right to me.

Safe rides and thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I've not ridden a Synapse, but have heard great things about them. I'm considering a Synapse for my next road bike purchase.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
So, I dug deep into the budget, let the wife buy something she wanted to get permission to spend the extra dough and get the model they still sold in Black & Green, the Synapse Carbon 105.
Ahhh, smooth. :thumbsup:

I've purchased from my LBS before and the owner remembers me, so I got them to knock some money off a brand new Synapse they had to order.
The benefits of a good LBS relationship. Buy pizza for the mechanics next time you're there.

It should be here next week and I should be on the road next weekend, whoot! I'm stoked and ready to ride, glad I did the test rides, they Synapse just felt right to me.

Safe rides and thanks for the input guys!
You made a good choice. Wishing you many happy and safe miles. Post pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts