Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time MTB'er who is considering a trip to the dark side. I am demo'ing a Giant this week. Like road riding so far. I am wondering how serious riders view the Giant brand. My MTB quiver is a collection of Moots, Jones and M Chester. I am unlikely to spend a similiar amount on my first road rig. I was looking at some of the Giant bikes for sale in the shop and based on what i see via a quick web search, Giant bikes appear to be somewhat less expensive than similiar models from other manufacturers. Seems like I coule get a pretty nice Defy or TCR for around $2000 and spend time upgrading later. I would greatly appreciate any opinions on Giant that you could share.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I absolutely love my Giant TCR Advanced. Great company, great reps, great LBS that focuses on Giant.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
MTBDad said:
I am a long time MTB'er who is considering a trip to the dark side. I am demo'ing a Giant this week. Like road riding so far. I am wondering how serious riders view the Giant brand. My MTB quiver is a collection of Moots, Jones and M Chester. I am unlikely to spend a similiar amount on my first road rig. I was looking at some of the Giant bikes for sale in the shop and based on what i see via a quick web search, Giant bikes appear to be somewhat less expensive than similiar models from other manufacturers. Seems like I coule get a pretty nice Defy or TCR for around $2000 and spend time upgrading later. I would greatly appreciate any opinions on Giant that you could share.
Cutting to the chase, Giant's are fine quality bikes, but no better than many others.

Rather than limit yourself to one brand from the get go, why not pin down your intended uses (recreational, fitness/ fast training, racing) and depending on that focus on either relaxed or race geo bikes. The Defy is a relaxed geo bike, while the TCR is race, so although they're the same brand, you're already looking at two different types of bikes, best suited for slightly different uses/ riders.

Also, even within relaxed and race geometry, other brands/ models geometry/ sizing differ somewhat, so the best way to determine what works best for you is by test riding some bikes.

We all want the most value for our money, but IMO it's far better to end up with the bike that fits and feels best, because a few years down the road the differences in price will fade from memory, but (for better or for worse) the fit will still be with you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your way out of my price range but I love my Giant Defy 3. Got it for $800. Traded in my Giant Hybrid for a Giant Yukon MTB and the Defy.

I hear that Giant makes a butt load of frames for other well know brands. I here that from this site, don't know for sure myself.

I would test ride several and see what feels right. I got all three of my Giants because they felt good when I test rode them. I fell in love with the look of a Trek but it felt like crap when I test rode it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
+1 on what he said^^^^. I Love my Giant!!! Mine fits me perfect. The ride and technology is couldn't be better, stiff yet comfy if that makes sense, I guess it is very efficient......

·
Registered
151 Posts
Like PJ said I'd try out as wide of a range of models/brands as you can around your price point and find the one that you feel suits you best. Most of the different brands out there do seem to be relatively price competitive for what you're getting to me.

That being said, I put ~180 miles on a 2010 Defy Advanced 3 last week over some pretty varied conditions and was impressed. Slightly racier handling and posture than my Specialized Roubaix but just as good handling less than perfect surfaces w/o knocking my fillings out and pretty darn comfortable overall. I hadn't checked out any Giant bikes when I bought my Roubaix, but will definitely give them a look when I buy my next bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts