Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to information posted on this and the Specialized section of this forum I'll soon be a owner of an 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite Apex (Carbon/Gloss Gold).

Originally I thought about buying an aluminum frame, but figured I'd purchase an 'entry level' carbon setup instead. Component upgrades are always easier than frame upgrades!

Anyway, it's not coming in until Wednesday of this week, but I can't wait to pick it up. Originally, I thought I was a 54, fortunately the bike store spent some time fitting me and found the 52 to be a better fit. Apparently I have shorter legs for my height.

I was deciding between the Specialized Tarmac and Roubaix. I loved the aggressive feel of the Tarmac, but found it to be twitching and too stiff for me. The Roubaix was much more forgiving. The only thing I didn't like about the Roubaix was that it was not as responsive when I was 'mashing' (I think that's the right term).

I still have yet to buy pedals and clothes yet. But I'm planning on riding with the 'free' pedals for a few months until I get used to the road biking. The wife is very excited that we'll finally have some sport type of activity to do together.

I will post pictures once I have the bike in hand.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sounds like fun.

My suggestion: I like that you're not in a rush to buy fancy pedals. My budget was a bit capped out when I bought shoes and pedals and I underbought on those items and ended up replacing them after 3 months. For pedals I suggest a Look, Time, or SPD-SL design; you don't need to spend a fortune, perhaps $100-150. Try to find a number of places that have shoes and try on everything. Figure out what fits and to hell with the price tag. Right now there are some good deals on Sidi's older models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm not planning on buying any pedals and shoes until I've recouperated from this initial purchase. When I am ready, I'll look at the ones you suggested. I hear I should also consider Speedplay's.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Congrats on the new bike... nice choice!! :thumbsup:

I've seen the color scheme on Spec's website, but it would be nice to see one posted from a member here.

Kudo's to your LBS for taking the time to get your sizing right. And you're right, proportions matter more than height or inseam alone.

When it comes time to shop for pedals systems, I agree that it's important to work with LBS's, discussing the options and trying the shoes on. Once the system is chosen, you'll need the LBS's assistance in cleat set up, so you may want to continue to work with the (seemingly) reputable LBS where the bike was purchased.

Ride often, ride safe, and remember to post pics come Wednesday! :)

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
223 Posts
keep us updated on the roubiax!!! im lookin to buy that exact bike in a couple months. I was confused as to which one to get for while also. Im coming from a 2010 allez sport, but i think for my casual, fiteness riding the roubiax will be a better bet. Im never going to race so the tarmac would probably be a little overkill for me.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jeeper006 said:
keep us updated on the roubiax!!! im lookin to buy that exact bike in a couple months. I was confused as to which one to get for while also. Im coming from a 2010 allez sport, but i think for my casual, fiteness riding the roubiax will be a better bet. Im never going to race so the tarmac would probably be a little overkill for me.
I don't race and ride a Tarmac. Nothing wrong with Roubaix's (or similar bikes with relaxed geo), but I prefer the quicker handling of the Tarmac. I suggest giving both test rides before deciding.

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
223 Posts
i wonder how differet these two bike REALLY ARE?? i like the handling of my allez, i like how i can zip in and out of turns, i wonder how much different the roubiax and tarmac will be from the allez's handling. im sure obviously acceleration will be increased due to the lighter frame.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jeeper006 said:
i wonder how differet these two bike REALLY ARE?? i like the handling of my allez, i like how i can zip in and out of turns, i wonder how much different the roubiax and tarmac will be from the allez's handling. im sure obviously acceleration will be increased due to the lighter frame.
If you like the Allez's handling, you should definitely try the Tarmac. Better yet, Tarmac and Roubaix back to back with similar tire pressures.

As far as quicker acceleration due to less weight, negligible IME.

Just a FYI, this years Allez now shares the Tarmac's geo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeeper006 said:
I thought the two models were very different. The Tarmac was a lot more ridged and twitchy. But this is good if you want a more aggressive and responsive feel.

I actually felt that the acceleration was quicker with the Tarmac, but I'm not sure if that's a reality or just a feeling. However the Roubaix had a lot more forgiving ride overall, which fit my needs a lot better.

As PJ352 mentioned, you really need to just try both. You'll notice the difference right away.

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
223 Posts
im gonna try them both once the times gets closer for me to upgrade to one, but for conversation sake, what do you think the biggest advantages are in moving from a beginner bike to a low level carbon bike.

I know its lighter and the components are better, but im hearing mixed reviews about carbon. Some people love it b/c it is solid and handles bumps better then aluminum, some people say just the opposite. I have also heard that carbon is alot more jarring on the body than an aluminum frame is??? I guess that is just like everything else in these forums, Personal Preference.

I guess im just looking for a little boost to help convince me to buy a bike that costs twice the price of my current one which i love the feel and response of. haha.

ucsb2002, when you say the roubaix had a " more forgiving ride" are you basically saying it soaks up bumps better ( im assuming due to zerts) and the ride position is also a little more relaxed?

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
223 Posts
thanks, just trying to get a little insight my LBS is SMALLLLLLLLLLLL, so most likely they will have to order the bikes for me to try, being as im 5'8 with short legs i need a small frame.
I was hoping to have my mind made up when i go that way he doesn't have to order two bikes, buuuuuuuut considering i'll be spending more than $2000, i may just let him get both for me to try

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's the color that I really wanted but my dealer only had the black carbon in stock. When the bike got built I fell in love with the black carbon look and it looks much better in person. The 2011 Roubaix Elite Apex was my first road bike and I was looking into buying the Secture comp but my dealer told me that he will give me a great price if I buy the Roubaix Elite Apex which was only $250 more over the Secture. Very smooth ride and very happy with my choice. I thought the same thing USCB2002. It's easier to upgrade the component then the frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ninja10 said:
That's the color that I really wanted but my dealer only had the black carbon in stock. When the bike got built I fell in love with the black carbon look and it looks much better in person. The 2011 Roubaix Elite Apex was my first road bike and I was looking into buying the Secture comp but my dealer told me that he will give me a great price if I buy the Roubaix Elite Apex which was only $250 more over the Secture. Very smooth ride and very happy with my choice. I thought the same thing USCB2002. It's easier to upgrade the component then the frame.

I was originally going to go with the black carbon, but after seeing the white/carbon scheme, I was sold on the new scheme. However I think either are great colors options. If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying before tax?

I still looking for pedals, shoes and such. Look at those yet?

Also, any pictures of your new toy you're willing to post?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nice colors on that bike. Regarding sizing Specialized might just be weird, I haven't been on enough of their bikes to really make a decision on their geometry but I am a borderline 52/54. Usually go with a 54 on most bikes because there is a bigger selection but on the Specialized bikes I am a lot happier on a 52.

Looked at any Ultegra pedals yet? Good pedal for the price especially if you can find the older model.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts