Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks!

I'm coming this way from MTBR where I've been a member for years. I finally buckled and bought my first road bike, it's a new old stock 2013 Masi Evoluzione 105. I took it out for my first ride yesterday and I find everything thing on the bike to be wonderful except for the engagement on the hubs. For the past 10 years or so I've been riding with Hadley / I9 hubs on all of my mountain bikes, both of them are have a lot of points of engagement and have the instant
hookup feel when riding them. Unbeknownst to me I've become very accustomed to this and I noticed it the whole ride. The wheelset on the bike is a Ritchey Pro DS, does anyone know where I can get the specs on these wheels? I've searched allover the place and I've come up with nothing.

What are some brands that make reasonably priced wheelsets that I can start taking a look at? I priced out a pair of I9 wheels and they were ~950ish laced to Stan's Alpha rims, I just don't want to spend that kind of money right now not knowing if I will love the sport in the long run.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
While you're definitely starting in the right sub-forum based on your question, I would also note that somebody from Ritchey pretty regularly responds to questions in the Ritchey sub-forum on this site, you might want to ask there and see what you get.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Hello Folks!

I'm coming this way from MTBR where I've been a member for years. I finally buckled and bought my first road bike, it's a new old stock 2013 Masi Evoluzione 105. I took it out for my first ride yesterday and I find everything thing on the bike to be wonderful except for the engagement on the hubs. For the past 10 years or so I've been riding with Hadley / I9 hubs on all of my mountain bikes, both of them are have a lot of points of engagement and have the instant
hookup feel when riding them. Unbeknownst to me I've become very accustomed to this and I noticed it the whole ride. The wheelset on the bike is a Ritchey Pro DS, does anyone know where I can get the specs on these wheels? I've searched allover the place and I've come up with nothing.

What are some brands that make reasonably priced wheelsets that I can start taking a look at? I priced out a pair of I9 wheels and they were ~950ish laced to Stan's Alpha rims, I just don't want to spend that kind of money right now not knowing if I will love the sport in the long run.
If you are that sensitive to hub engagement your best bet may be a top shelf hub (like the one you mentioned) and a custom wheelset BUT it will run you around the $800-$900 price range primarily because of the high hub cost.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to make a post in the Ritchey section as well to find out about the wheels specifically.

I think my biggest issue to solve is the specs on these wheels. If I can get weight / hub engagement points then I can have a baseline for looking into other pre-built wheelsets. For example if the Shimano Ultegra wheelset has much better engagement I can snag a pair in the 250 range. Plus it looks like they're tubeless rims as well so I could easily set them up for that and shave a little weight if they were heavier than the Ritchey's. But, if the engagement is pretty much the same then no point in changing. At this point I'm so new to the sport I'm not looking for a hoop that specific for any particular discipline, but if I can get a decent upgrade at a modest cost point then why not honestly.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
I was going to make a post in the Ritchey section as well to find out about the wheels specifically.

I think my biggest issue to solve is the specs on these wheels. If I can get weight / hub engagement points then I can have a baseline for looking into other pre-built wheelsets. For example if the Shimano Ultegra wheelset has much better engagement I can snag a pair in the 250 range. Plus it looks like they're tubeless rims as well so I could easily set them up for that and shave a little weight if they were heavier than the Ritchey's. But, if the engagement is pretty much the same then no point in changing. At this point I'm so new to the sport I'm not looking for a hoop that specific for any particular discipline, but if I can get a decent upgrade at a modest cost point then why not honestly.
You might also consider the more basic question: why does the engagement of nearly every road hub on the market including those used by nearly every professional cyclist seem to work just fine for everybody else? While you may feel you "like" the feel of instant engagement, think about how everyone else is able to deal with it without a thought. You're talking about spending money to fix something that the rest of us don't think is broken in any way. People adapt to things. It would be one thing if this was a performance issue of some kind, but on a road bike it is not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might also consider the more basic question: why does the engagement of nearly every road hub on the market including those used by nearly every professional cyclist seem to work just fine for everybody else? While you may feel you "like" the feel of instant engagement, think about how everyone else is able to deal with it without a thought. You're talking about spending money to fix something that the rest of us don't think is broken in any way. People adapt to things. It would be one thing if this was a performance issue of some kind, but on a road bike it is not.
Well if this is the case with all road hubs, I would have to assume that road bikers like the sustained speed of a hub that generates less drag at the cost of bad engagement. I get it, it's not stop and go pedaling like MTB'ing where engagement is king.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Wiser words could not be spoken.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this one of those forums where people jump all over new members for what is perceived as dumb questions? I bought a road bike this weekend, I've ridden it twice, I don't know the all the nuances with it, the industry or the aftermarket parts yet. I didn't think the question was that absurd.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hubs with more engagement points (CK, DT Swiss, Hope) are a luxury in the road bike world and will cost some bucks. I think your best course of action is to heed the words of the wise folk here and try to get used to the "bad" engagement of your hubs while you figure out whether you like road cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
Is this one of those forums where people jump all over new members for what is perceived as dumb questions? I bought a road bike this weekend, I've ridden it twice, I don't know the all the nuances with it, the industry or the aftermarket parts yet. I didn't think the question was that absurd.
Mags,

nobody jumped on you, just pointed out some rather important information in respect to the question you asked. You can find anything you want at almost any price point. You want "instant engagement" pay $$ for the hubs that provide it. You want lower $ for the wheels, decide what you wish to sacrifice, like "instant engagement".

I wish you luck in finding what you seek.

EEC

·
Registered
20,781 Posts
No one jumped on you or said your question was dumb. You were give (valid) food for thought.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,442 Posts
I didn't perceive that anybody jumped on you for "dumb questions". I think you may have taken constructive criticism the wrong way. As always, some people have a heavy handed way of responding, but I perceived that most are trying to help you.

As others have said, if you want instant engagement hubs, you will pay more for them. Only you can decide if that is important enough to justify the extra cost.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

I think my biggest issue to solve is the specs on these wheels. If I can get weight / hub engagement
I've never worked on those hubs specifically but it's probably a no-brainer to take off the free hub and see engagement points for yourself. And it shouldn't be too hard to find a scale.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's interesting that you notice the difference. (I would have guessed that the different handling of a road bike would be the biggest change.)

On my group rides, I see some riders pedal a few strokes, then coast, then repeat. (Which is slightly annoying to following riders on a group ride, but that's another subject.)

But most of the riders are spinning continuously, unless it's a downhill. So I think that for many riders, instant freewheel engagement isn't as critical as it is on a mountain bike.

See if you notice it as much after a few more rides.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,442 Posts
I don't have instant engagement on my mountain bikes either, but I can see how it would be an advantage on technical trails. On road bikes, it doesn't really matter....for me at least.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You may want to look for hubs that offer more points of engagement. 1st I would check with Ritchey and find out what hubs or the number of engagement points in the ones you have. Then you will have a reference point to use to see what your options are for hubs.

The I-9 Torch hubs claims to offer 120 points of engagement for the mountain hubs but 60 for the road hubs (they say b/c of weight and drag in the hub). They reduced the number of pawls in half from 6 to 3 for the road hubs. Bitex hubs offer 48 from my searching. These look exactly the same as the house brand from BikeHubStore (which I have put a beating on for nearly 2 years without issue). White Industry T11's have 24 according to their site. DuraAce is 18 I think for reference.

Chris King offers 45 points of engagement but is a bit different than the pawl system with their RingDrive. DT-Swiss is similar to CK with the Star Ratchet system but appears to be 18 points of engagement. I don't know how they would compare to pawls in terms of speed of engagement. I would have to ride them back to back and see if I could tell a difference.

Anyway, you have a few options to get lower cost than the I-9 and CK's but possibly get better engagement than you presently have. Whether they can get you close to what you have on your mountain bike wheels I have no clue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK fair maybe I misinterpreted the response. But, as it's clearly evident that I know nothing about road bikes, how am I supposed to know that all bikers from me to top level pro's all use hubs with similar engagement? The post just wasn't helpful at all. In as many words or less someone could have explained the difference between MTB hubs and road hubs along with why and I would have been grateful. I also should have done more research on my part before I asked, I usually do but being so new with so many different companies I thought it would be a good post.

I also checked out some of the top end wheels that are heavily marketed, most of them boast high or almost instant engagement. So its not a fallacy that this is considered desirable. I also assume these are the wheels sponsored pro's ride on, or most of the people I see around Boston.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's interesting that you notice the difference. (I would have guessed that the different handling of a road bike would be the biggest change.)

On my group rides, I see some riders pedal a few strokes, then coast, then repeat. (Which is slightly annoying to following riders on a group ride, but that's another subject.)

But most of the riders are spinning continuously, unless it's a downhill. So I think that for many riders, instant freewheel engagement isn't as critical as it is on a mountain bike.

See if you notice it as much after a few more rides.
I expected the handling piece so that was no shocker, I ride a Yeti Sb6c which is raked out for a trail bike. Honestly I expected the engagement piece as well, I spent 1200 buck, I just didn't realize that it was common. Nice MTB hubs pretty much equate to good bearings, good engagement and color options.

I rode last night by myself and it was much different, I didn't have to stop pedaling which makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Hubs with more engagement points (CK, DT Swiss, Hope) are a luxury in the road bike world and will cost some bucks. I think your best course of action is to heed the words of the wise folk here and try to get used to the "bad" engagement of your hubs while you figure out whether you like road cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on this, no need to waste money on something that you may not end up liking.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,442 Posts
OK fair maybe I misinterpreted the response. But, as it's clearly evident that I know nothing about road bikes, how am I supposed to know that all bikers from me to top level pro's all use hubs with similar engagement? The post just wasn't helpful at all. In as many words or less someone could have explained the difference between MTB hubs and road hubs along with why and I would have been grateful. I also should have done more research on my part before I asked, I usually do but being so new with so many different companies I thought it would be a good post.

I also checked out some of the top end wheels that are heavily marketed, most of them boast high or almost instant engagement. So its not a fallacy that this is considered desirable. I also assume these are the wheels sponsored pro's ride on, or most of the people I see around Boston.

I'm sorry that it appears you still seem offended by the responses here. I have a totally different point of view since I have never experienced anything other than "mainstream" hubs - Shimano, Mavic, Bontrager. Maybe if I had experienced high end instant engagement hubs, I would be hooked and wouldn't want to turn back. It's possibe, but I can't miss something I never had. From my point of view, it's a non-issue.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts