Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here...

I'd like to thank all of you guys for your comments & reviews specially on the beginner's Corner. I've learned alot from zero! :thumbsup:

I wanna start road cycling for long destances workouts. From this forum's experience, many guys advised to get basic one for 400 - 500 $ range... I found that Trek 1000 or 1.2 is the best choice, but not within that money range... cuz I found it here new at 960$.. and I really think this is expensive for a beginner like me :rolleyes: ....

so I'd like to know if it's worth buying Trek 1.2 for that value.... what do you think?

pls your comments are highly appreciate it !!

Thanks

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Not a Trek expert, but that seems a bit pricey for a 1.2. I'd think you should be able to get it for under $800. You could also look at the Specialized Allez Triple, which should also be under $800.

Since you're a beginner I'd recommend a new bike from a local bike shop. Don't forget to budget for accessories- pedals (though base models my come with platform pedals), seat bag, spare tube, tire levers, either a CO2 inflator or mini-pump.

If you can find a shop with 2007 or earlier models, you should get a price break since bikes depreciate like cars- very quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah man me too I dont think it worths more than $800... I already checked another shop and I was gonna crack that salesman's head when he told me a Trek 1000 price is $990!! :mad:

now I visited 3 shops, and I think this is the max... cuz I'm living in place where bikes and specially "road bikes" are not demanded and very difficult to find (saudi arabia - city: khobar)... I dont think it's in your map anyways :D .... so I really dont know ... but I guess I'm forced to look for these high prices... and I only found Giant and Trek here, but Giants are away expensive!

in terms of the accessories, how much do you think will cost me?, just estimation....

Thanks man for your comments.... appreicate it!:thumbsup:

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
+1 for Craigs list

benchpress265 said:
Look at used bikes through Craigslist, always a good value comes up. You will get better components for half the price of new.
Post links to Craig's List bikes here, and people will help you figure out if the deal is sweet. There are often 2-3 year old bikes with very little use for 1/2 the original price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DerBoeseKoenig said:
Holy crap, can I ask why you live in Saudi Arabia?

To stay on topic, that is a decent price....especially considering it is Saudi Arabia...I couldn't imagine there would be a huge amount of cyclists there.
cuz I'm Saudi...

It's not the perfect place for cycling... but I wanna start off and make my own route... I still dont know where I'm gonna start, specially with our crazy car driving here someone may send me to blue skies...

I guess I'll stick on buying from that dealer... let me save TIME and forget about MONEY since I dont have many alternatives here...

I think I'll go for Trek 1.2... I feel it's gonna stay with me for the coming 2 years..... what do you think??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LUCKY!!

Just buy me one, and I'll give you 30% :p ... I'm gonna buy it this weekend anyways, I cant wait any longer... so excited!, I dont think I'll find someone on road though... but I wont stop lookin! :D

cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.