Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and new to the road bike world. I have never riden a road bike until I took a couple of test rides at Performance and at another local Bike Shop. I am a disabled veteran and am looking to move into the road bike scee for recreational riding/fitness riding/and commuting. My goal is to get into good enough shape to make 50 mile round trip commute 3 days a week for fitness and economy. I am looking at this bike here:

Grips/Tape: Black Cork
Chain: CN-5600 10-speed
Saddle: Fizik Arione
Headset: FSA Sealed Bearing Internal
Frame: GTR Carbon Monocoque Frame
Pedals: NA
Rack Mounts: None
Fork: Ritchey Carbon Pro w/ Integrated dropout
Stem: Ritchey Logic Pro, 3D Net forged w/ Stainless Steel bolts, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp
Handlebar: Ritchey Logic Pro, Butted 7075 Aluminum w/ Anatomic bend, 31.8mm clamp
Seatpost: Ritchey Pro Carbon
Wheelset: Shimano 105 Wheelset w/ offset, heat treated Alloy rim and precision sealed hub w/ rear 10-speed cassette
Front Derailleur: SRAM Compact
Bottom Bracket: SRAM Outboard
Brakes: SRAM Rival
Levers: SRAM Rival
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Rival
Shifters: SRAM Rival 10-speed
Crankset: SRAM Rival Compact, 50/34T
Cassette: SRAM, 11/25T, 10-speed
Tires: Vittoria Rubino Pro

Is this a decent buy at $1900? I am familiar with mountain components but am completely clueless when it comes to road bikes. I would appreciate any comments you guys can give me, to include sugestions on alternate bikes and where to look at them.

Beau

· Registered
577 Posts
Thats a good bike. So are the other ones I see that perfomance has around the same price range... the schwinn and scattante. ride all of them and see what feels better.

you might also want to check out some other bike shops just to test some other brands. You wont find the same kind of price points for full carbon frames but you might like the shops and bikes better anyway. The Giant TCR Alliance bike is $1900 with full Rival. Its blended carbon and aluminum frame which you might like. The trek 2.3 is a nice looking bike too.

by the way, did Perfomance stop carrying Fuji?

· banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
If you are going to use the bike to commute, then you might want rack mounts. You might want a more upright position, and you might want to be sure the frame will accomidate lighting, and fenders. That bike won't easily take a rack, fenders, or a wider tire than about 25 mm.

· Banned
664 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
If you are going to use the bike to commute, then you might want rack mounts. You might want a more upright position, and you might want to be sure the frame will accomidate lighting, and fenders. That bike won't easily take a rack, fenders, or a wider tire than about 25 mm.

Agree, race bike may not be the best choice for commuting

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
logansites said:
Thats a good bike. So are the other ones I see that perfomance has around the same price range... the schwinn and scattante. ride all of them and see what feels better.

you might also want to check out some other bike shops just to test some other brands. You wont find the same kind of price points for full carbon frames but you might like the shops and bikes better anyway. The Giant TCR Alliance bike is $1900 with full Rival. Its blended carbon and aluminum frame which you might like. The trek 2.3 is a nice looking bike too.

Nope they still carry Fuji but they are not allowed to sell the Fuji bikes online, only in store...I like the Team Pro from Fuji but it is up there as well...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Own Private Idaho said:
I am a law enforcement dispatcher and I dont need to carry anything with so other than a small camelback with some storage, I dont need to carry anything. I am planning on commuting 50% of the time and the other 50% I can bring extras for the days I commute. I have generous storage space for personal items at work...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
logansites said:

I actually work part time at a Performance Store but wanted to get other opinions than the guys from work who seem to be a bit biased towards brands that Performance carries...and I have only been there for 1 month now 2 days per week and am learning about the road stuff but not comfortable with my limited knowledge of those compnents.

· Registered
577 Posts
The big name brands have recoginition. Specialized, Giant and Trek are the 3 kings. Im not sure if their bikes are any better than the ones at Performance.

If you dont really have to carry a bunch of stuff to work then a race oriented bike might be more fun to ride as long as its comfortable.

· TWD
603 Posts
cross bikes work real well for commuters and you might like the ride better. Do a search on the forum but you can expect full fenders, rack mounts, high clearance for the bottom bracket. I have a Bianchi Axis I like but there are lots of good CX (Cross) bikes out there ... Soma, Surley ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.