Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am searching for my new first road bike. I am looking at a carbon frame/Ultegra groupset. I have looked at the following

Scott CR1 Pro
Specialized Roubaix
Giant Advanced Defy
Jamis Xenith Pro

Has anyone riden these? Or are there any other suggestions.

My background is having spent 6 years on flat bar road bikes. My current one is a Jamis Coda Elite (Steel with suspension seat post). Hence I am looking for a bike with good ride comfort and a slightly more upright position. My usual ride is about 100km on fairly flat terrain. I ride for fitness and enjoyment.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
91 Posts
I suggest that you ride each of them and make a determination based on fit and feel. These bikes all have different feels to them and only you can decide which one feels the best to you. I don't know how to describe it, but when you take these test rides, one will usually call out to you. When that happens, grab it and run (after paying of course).

Todd

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Optomrider said:
Hi

I am searching for my new first road bike. I am looking at a carbon frame/Ultegra groupset. I have looked at the following

Scott CR1 Pro
Specialized Roubaix
Giant Advanced Defy
Jamis Xenith Pro

Has anyone riden these? Or are there any other suggestions.

My background is having spent 6 years on flat bar road bikes. My current one is a Jamis Coda Elite (Steel with suspension seat post). Hence I am looking for a bike with good ride comfort and a slightly more upright position. My usual ride is about 100km on fairly flat terrain. I ride for fitness and enjoyment.

Thanks in advance
If you're looking for a slightly more upright riding position and a dose of comfort, I'd scratch the Scott and Jamis off the list. Not because they're bad choices, but they offer a more aggressive rider position and quicker handling geo. IMO, the Defy and Roubaix are more in keeping with your stated criteria. And considering you're coming from a Coda, these will be an easier transition to a drop bar bike. One additional brand/ model to consider is the Trek 5.2 Madone. The geo is close to the Roubaix's and the HT is 3 cm's taller than their Pro fit version, allowing for a more upright riding position.

As you'll read here many times fit matters most, so work with your LBS on that, ride the bikes in question and narrow your choices on what feels best, rides and handles best and what color strikes your fancy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I do not know your price range, but what you describe (little more upright etc..) I would offer the following suggestion. The 2009 Look 566. It is offered in both Ultegra and 2009 SRAM Rival (gotta love the CF brake levers :)

I chose the SRAM on mine. After playing with both, I did not think the Ultegra was worth more, or any better than the SRAM.

You are looking at about $2600 or so for the Look 566 with SRAM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts