Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm looking for my first road bike. I come from a running background and I am going to be racing in a triathlon in a couple months and would like something better than my dad's old mountain bike. I am a senior in high school and looking for a bike around $150 and will probably use this bike in college as well. I am completely new to cycling and while I have done some research, I would like some help deciding what bike would be best. I figured my best bet would be to get a used bike off craigslist. I have narrowed it down to a few bikes but would really appreciate some help deciding. I am around 5'10/11 and have about 33 in inseam. Feel free to take a look at the dallas craigslist to see if there are any better bikes. Thanks ahead of time for all who answer!

Raleigh Technium 460- $140
(I like that it comes with cage pedals)
RALEIGH TECHNIUM 460 USA ROAD BIKE

Mercier- $160
Mercier Bicycle for Sale

Fila- $170
Vintage Steel Frame Fila Road Bike

Peugeot- $129
vintage french peugeot premier road bike

Vista Carrera- $160
Vista Carrera Road Bike

Maruishi RX-7 - $165
Maruishi RX-7

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
+1, you need to figure out frame size. the 60cm Mercier and the 53cm Raleigh are sized for drastically different height/proportioned people. This is going to be the most important part of your bike search.

that being said, I would avoid french steel. They ride wonderful, but require a good amount of hacking to overcome the wacky french hardware specs, or a search for NOS french sized parts that you will always pay a premium for. in short, they're a pain in the ass.

The raleigh would get my vote of the bikes you've listed, assuming that it fits.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The bikes you have listed range in size from XS to large, so (similar to what's been offered) in an effort to spare yourself and the sellers time, first thing you need to do is narrow down your sizing requirements.

Very generally speaking, someone of your height will be in the 56-59cm range, so focus on those bikes and go from there.

Of all you linked to, I think this one (size-wise) is your closest bet.
Vintage Steel Frame Fila Road Bike

Also, check with bike coops and LBS's in your area for used offerings.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Just for some perspective, and to reinforce the point PJ made above, I'm 5'11" and ride 54/56--and because everyone is different, I'd probably go with 53cm as a frame size before i went with 57+

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for responding so quickly. Very helpful! I read that fit is really important. However, very few of the craigslist ads list sizing, making it difficult. I used a sizing calculator online and it said I should be around 55-59. The closest local bike store that I know of is an hour away, but I will try to check it out soon. These bikes are also located about an hour away from where I live, making it difficult to try many of them and see how they fit. Thanks again for the suggestions and I will continue looking for better bikes to come up.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Buying used can be quite trying. Some people are wonderfully helpful, some just want to dump off their bike on someone. I would take the amount of information and detailed contained in an ad as an indication of how much care they probably put into the bike when they owned it. By that I mean if they couldn't care to try and know/describe it well and help you through the sale, they probably didn't maintain it well and you may walk into a lemon. This is not a certainty, but a rule of thumb from a middle aged guy to a up and comer for many things not just bikes.

If the ad does not mention the size, ask. You may be able to see the size sticker in the pictures, if not then shoot an email and ask. Size is the utmost importance, if it doesn't fit it is not worth looking at. At your size, I would think 54-57. You have fairly long legs, so will be able to handle more standover vs. reach. I am almost 6'-1 with a 32.5" standover. I ride a 56cm on my Allez. Another thing to keep in mind is if you want to put aerobars on it for triathlons, it will change the fit. Since you are already more lower than upper, keep this in mind as you do not want to have to start putting money into a shorter stem because it lays you out too much. Dallas has a huge bike market, so keep your eyes open and you can probably find something. But you have to be ready to move quickly, the good ones don't last long in Dallas.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I say, if your Dad's old MTB has a decent working fork, just join a bicycle co-op and upgrade parts and/or make the required repairs.

You could use your dad's MTB frame and possibly place a rigid fork on it, if it doesn't have one already. At any rate, a bicycle co-op will be able to properly advise you as to what steps you might wanna take. There are many options available to you for a Triathlon, if your Dad's frame fits you.

* IMO, none the bikes you've posted will fit you...Besides, they could all very well need much repair or upgrading, before the Triathlon, as well. You really do need some expert assistance when you're buying a used bike, of which you have no known history.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.