Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting out on the road and I am thinking about jumping headlong into a Sprint TRI, however, not being sure if I am going to stick with it or not I do not want to sink a lot of $ into a road bike. I am seriously considering picking up (don't laugh) a Kent/GMC Denali 700C Road Bike at Amazon or Wal-Mart (believe it or not) and making some slight upgrades (levers and brake hoods). Anyone have any thoughts on this bike or one I should be looking at? Keep in mind we need a cross b/t quality and bottom $.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Definitely bottom dollar, very little quality. You would be far better looking at something used that is several years old sporting at least a tiagra groupo if not 105. The walmart bike comes in one size and not very upgradeable. I would avoid it like a dead skunk myself. Search Ebay and see what you can find in something that is 3-5 years old.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Definitely bottom dollar, very little quality. You would be far better looking at something used that is several years old sporting at least a tiagra groupo if not 105. The walmart bike comes in one size and not very upgradeable. I would avoid it like a dead skunk myself. Search Ebay and see what you can find in something that is 3-5 years old.
He'd be better off with a 70's vintage steel bike with a chain so rusty that the bike won't move unless dropped off a bridge (my apologies to the retro crowd). Seriously though, buy a bike that almost fits at a garage sale for $50 and you will be far better off.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Big Bad John said:
He'd be better off with a 70's vintage steel bike with a chain so rusty that the bike won't move unless dropped off a bridge (my apologies to the retro crowd). Seriously though, buy a bike that almost fits at a garage sale for $50 and you will be far better off.

I agree....:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you'll get the most bang for the buck,...

Umatt70 said:
I am just starting out on the road and I am thinking about jumping headlong into a Sprint TRI, however, not being sure if I am going to stick with it or not I do not want to sink a lot of $ into a road bike. I am seriously considering picking up (don't laugh) a Kent/GMC Denali 700C Road Bike at Amazon or Wal-Mart (believe it or not) and making some slight upgrades (levers and brake hoods). Anyone have any thoughts on this bike or one I should be looking at? Keep in mind we need a cross b/t quality and bottom $.
....by going to e-bay and getting a Giant TCR alu bike. You can get a 2003 or 2004 in great shape for $500 on up w/ 105 or Ultegra.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wouldn't suggest buying a bike that you're going immediately upgrade if you're looking to go on the cheap. I believe the GMC bike you mentioned uses a 7 speed rear cassette, which will be an issue because most even remotely modern components are 8, 9, or 10 speed so you'll be replacing nearly all the drivetrain or have compatibility problems... even if you get one that uses standard parts, buying a slightly better bike in the first place will probably be more cost-effective than adding shifters.

I bought a used KHS Flite 300 for about $300 as my first road bike; came with fairly standard Shimano parts, with Walmart bikes and the sort you're going to be stuck with parts that are nearly useless if you plan on ever being serious about riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts