Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my first road bike. It's a used Giant OCR 2.

The original owner changed the rear derailleur and cassette. It's a 11-32 cassette and Shimono LX derailleur. Is it worth it to change it back to stock? Will it make a difference as I learn the sport?

BTW- Great forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends how many hills you have in your area, and your current fitness.

Ride it as is for a couple weeks and pay attention to how often you dig into your 3 biggest cogs in the rear while on your middle ring up front. Oh wow, middle ring I just realized. It's a triple already. Wow, that previous person really wanted some low gears.

I suppose if the the weight of the bike really bugs you, you could put a road cassette and 105 rear der back on, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
It is certainly not worth making a swap, even if you are in the flatlands. Why spring for a new cassette and derailleur when the existing stuff works? In addition, if you are in a place with any steep climbing/mountains, you've got a range of additional low gears that will help you concentrate on your technique/cadence, even when climbing.

Leave it alone, at least until your cassette wears out, if not forever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.