Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my first road race/ cat 5. I have been road cycling since last april with a lot of time off during the winter months. The race was 2 17 mile laps with rollers I started off great and I was pac lining right up with the main group right at 23-25 mph, but my heart rate was a tad higher then I'm normally use to but I was ok. I kept right up through the first rollers all the way until the 12 or 13 mile of the first lap. We started to hit some steeper rollers I was dropped fast by the main group and I was quickly maxing out. I tryed to bridge the gap, but just couldn't do it and I realized I was wearing my self out even more. I found my self riding alone the rest of the race with a few riders behind me. I finally got some of my legs back at around mile 22. I'm not sure where my problem starts. It might have been the rollers that I just can't handle and they just maxed me out, or maybe I since my heart rate was a tad higher then normal I just finnally maxed out from riding at such a fast tempo for so long. I think my training goal is going to be to ride some 40 milers at a fast tempo like I was in the race a few times a week on a course that has some nice rollers. Any suggestions on how to keep my speed up with the main group speaically when moving up the rollers? Any training ideas? I do planty of climbing rides, but maybe I just nbeed to increase my speed on these rides, or not even worrie about the pure climbing rides and work on incorperating climbs in my faster flat rides. My next race is in Chatanooga this Sunday. I'm not scared of loosing if anything I look at these races just as another way of training. I was partly satisfied with my first race I would have to say the cat 5 took me a little by surprise with the speed and tempo. I'm looking forward to racing again. I am also considering shaving my legs like the rest of my road buds, but the girl friend is grussed out by it =D

·
Registered
176 Posts
My first race is this weekend

OM, My first ever race is this coming weekend. It sounds very similar to yours. It is a bit longer, 44 miles, but also very hilly. My expectations, are exactly what you described happening to you. I have been riding a while longer than you, but it also sounds like I am a bit older (55 ). I expect to get dropped and expect to be by myself at least part of the ride. But we have to start somewhere. I'm curious, did you chose to start at the front or the back of the pack. I can see advantages to both. If you start at the front it might be easier to hang with the group by drafting, but the last thing I want to do it cause an accident. That specifically concerns me as the course has a number of turns and the registered list of Cat 5 guys in my groups will probably be full of 20 year olds who are much faster and more aggressive than me. I am comfortable with my group skills, but not sure what to expect from a race. I think I will most likely hang back as I would rather finish last and stay upright the entire race than get myself or someone else in trouble on one of the many turns. Interested in how you started. mick

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Ride your bike more...

outdoors-maniac said:
I just completed my first road race/ cat 5. I have been road cycling since last april with a lot of time off during the winter months. The race was 2 17 mile laps with rollers I started off great and I was pac lining right up with the main group right at 23-25 mph, but my heart rate was a tad higher then I'm normally use to but I was ok. I kept right up through the first rollers all the way until the 12 or 13 mile of the first lap. We started to hit some steeper rollers I was dropped fast by the main group and I was quickly maxing out. I tryed to bridge the gap, but just couldn't do it and I realized I was wearing my self out even more. I found my self riding alone the rest of the race with a few riders behind me. I finally got some of my legs back at around mile 22. I'm not sure where my problem starts. It might have been the rollers that I just can't handle and they just maxed me out, or maybe I since my heart rate was a tad higher then normal I just finnally maxed out from riding at such a fast tempo for so long. I think my training goal is going to be to ride some 40 milers at a fast tempo like I was in the race a few times a week on a course that has some nice rollers. Any suggestions on how to keep my speed up with the main group speaically when moving up the rollers? Any training ideas? I do planty of climbing rides, but maybe I just nbeed to increase my speed on these rides, or not even worrie about the pure climbing rides and work on incorperating climbs in my faster flat rides. My next race is in Chatanooga this Sunday. I'm not scared of loosing if anything I look at these races just as another way of training. I was partly satisfied with my first race I would have to say the cat 5 took me a little by surprise with the speed and tempo. I'm looking forward to racing again. I am also considering shaving my legs like the rest of my road buds, but the girl friend is grussed out by it =D
It's pretty simple really at this level of racing, just ride some more. Throw in some intensity workouts, you'll be all good.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Go up hills, even if the race doesn't.

They'll MAKE you ride hard.

I've been amazed at what just 1 full year of consistent riding has done for my overall ability to Go Fast and Not Die.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
damn youngsters! haha

Argentius: Age: 23 :rolleyes:

Argentius said:
Go up hills, even if the race doesn't.

They'll MAKE you ride hard.

I've been amazed at what just 1 full year of consistent riding has done for my overall ability to Go Fast and Not Die.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Racew start

megmarc said:
OM, My first ever race is this coming weekend. It sounds very similar to yours. It is a bit longer, 44 miles, but also very hilly. My expectations, are exactly what you described happening to you. I have been riding a while longer than you, but it also sounds like I am a bit older (55 ). I expect to get dropped and expect to be by myself at least part of the ride. But we have to start somewhere. I'm curious, did you chose to start at the front or the back of the pack. I can see advantages to both. If you start at the front it might be easier to hang with the group by drafting, but the last thing I want to do it cause an accident. That specifically concerns me as the course has a number of turns and the registered list of Cat 5 guys in my groups will probably be full of 20 year olds who are much faster and more aggressive than me. I am comfortable with my group skills, but not sure what to expect from a race. I think I will most likely hang back as I would rather finish last and stay upright the entire race than get myself or someone else in trouble on one of the many turns. Interested in how you started. mick
The cat 5 race was split into riders under 30 and over. I was in the under 30 bracket there was about 25 of us the group stayed togeather very tight for about the first 10 miles and then some dropped off by the time we hit the big rollers. The main tight group left me. After about 10 more miles of riding I still could see the stragglers from the main group ahead of me, and as I went on I could see more and more of them of course I got more stragglers I could tell there probably wasn't more then 10 in the front. Of couse I got more tired as the race went on and besides the people in the back of me I lost all sight of the people infront of me. There was a time or two when I get reallly close to some infront, but I would loose them again on some rollers. I think my main focus point needs to be faster speed and work on tanking some rollers, because the rollers seem to be where I would fall way back after working so hard to try and catch back up. My race this coming weekend is 28 miles on lap. It has a few rollers one 2 mile stair step climber and a finishing 1.5 mile climber that sounds like it might be pretty tough, but hey I'm looking forward to it. Its nothing but more practice and expeirence for me. .megmarc good luck with your first race I'm sure your going to have a blast win or loose.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
From what I read, I interpret it as your speed is pretty good, but you got dropped on the hills. To build strength for hills,try this:

1 day per week ride slowly, (just to warm up), maybe 8-10 miles to a suitable hill. It should be a roller, not a massive climb, and not real steep...10% is enough. Start on a flat area at the base of the hill, about 30-40yards from the actual start of the climb.Start from a dead stop with your bike in it's highest gear - 53 x 12 or 53 x 13. Ride to the top of the hill using your absolute maximim effort. DO NOT STAND UP...EVER! If you stall & fall over...so be it, but do not stand up.Time yourself with your computer. Your heart rate should max out with this effort. It will be very, very tiring. Roll down the hill & ride around at 10 mph for at least 5 min., then do it again. Recover & repeat. No more than 4 times. Ride slowly back home & don't do anything else that day.

When doing this pay particular attention to your form. Keep your knees in and straight, pedal in circles, don't just push down. You will not hurt your knees by doing this.

You'll find that in a short time, a couple of weeks, that you'll be a much stronger climber. One day per week is plenty for this particular work out if you're really putting in a max effort.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The main issue here is that you need more power.... for everything. Your heart rate was higher while drafting on the flats because it is difficult for your body to generate the necessary power at a lower HR. You could get away with it for a while because it was flat and you were drafting, but as soon as the road tilts up a bit and you are on your limit your going out the back. Keep riding and racing and you will get there. Spend some time doing some power intervals (find the hardest gear you can pedal up a hill at about 50rpm). Training is all about building your aerobic and anaerobic systems. Your aerobic system is just as important. Once that has improved you will be able to ride along in a race without going into your red zone and therefore when you need your anaerobic system to kick in on the hills or in a sprint it will be there for you. I started out struggling as well, just did a crit yesterday and I can cruise around in the pack with my HR in the 140's, my max is 216. I've been riding and racing off and on for 4-5 years now. Good Luck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Point your bike up the biggest, nastiest climb in your area. Time your performance and beat it with each ride. Always work on your weakness!

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
megmarc said:
...and the registered list of Cat 5 guys in my groups will probably be full of 20 year olds who are much faster and more aggressive than me.

Hmm...

<--- 21

1 - 10 of 10 Posts