Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been MTB'ing for about 6 months and I absolutely love it. So I ordered a road bike and picked it up on thurs. I didn't really get a chance to go for a real spin on it until tonite. I was in no way, shape, or form ready for the fun I was going to have though. I only rode for 12 miles, which took me 44 mins with an average speed of 16 mph, but it was some serious fun. I wish I could have ridden for longer but I had to get home and take care of a few things. I figured I would just use the road bike for a some extra exercise when I can't make it to the trails, but I can see that I will most likely be doing it as much as I ride my MTB. I think it's the speed that is gonna be the addicting part for me. The thing that had me a lil scared was at one point, I was going pretty fast and I decided to try the drops. I almost lost control of the bike in the process of moving my hands down there. I think maybe it's something you have to get used to doing. I have off of work tomorrow so I plan on puttin some serious miles on this thing though and I can't wait. So I just thought I'd share that one with ya guys. I'll prob have many questions in the future and I'm sure everyone is gonna be really helpful here.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It does take some time to get used to riding a road bike, especially when going faster (over 40 mph). This is rather humbling for me, since I have almost 15 years of mountain biking behind me and I consider myself a fairly good technical rider.

But like yourself, I love road riding an use it to train for mountain bike racing. I just raced this weekend in the Canada Cup series (Sport Class) using a rigid single speed bike and I was certainly thankful for the hours spent on the road to build stamina.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You are on a path now, young Jedi. You will learn the specific skills, and you will enjoy the tasks before you. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, road riding is an amazing cross-training discipline for whatever your main focus may be. You're going to love it.

Jim

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Ice025 said:
The thing that had me a lil scared was at one point, I was going pretty fast and I decided to try the drops. I almost lost control of the bike in the process of moving my hands down there. I think maybe it's something you have to get used to doing. QUOTE]

Try moving 1 hand at a time. In order to ride a road bike no hands, you have to lean back & sit up perfectly straight. If you let go of the bars while leaning forward, there will be too much weight on the front wheel & the bike will quickly become uncontrollable. :cool:

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Ice025 said:
I have been MTB'ing for about 6 months and I absolutely love it. So I ordered a road bike and picked it up on thurs. I didn't really get a chance to go for a real spin on it until tonite. I was in no way, shape, or form ready for the fun I was going to have though. I only rode for 12 miles, which took me 44 mins with an average speed of 16 mph, but it was some serious fun. I wish I could have ridden for longer but I had to get home and take care of a few things. I figured I would just use the road bike for a some extra exercise when I can't make it to the trails, but I can see that I will most likely be doing it as much as I ride my MTB. I think it's the speed that is gonna be the addicting part for me. The thing that had me a lil scared was at one point, I was going pretty fast and I decided to try the drops. I almost lost control of the bike in the process of moving my hands down there. I think maybe it's something you have to get used to doing. I have off of work tomorrow so I plan on puttin some serious miles on this thing though and I can't wait. So I just thought I'd share that one with ya guys. I'll prob have many questions in the future and I'm sure everyone is gonna be really helpful here.
Congratulations, and welcome. If you odn't get satisfactory questions for anything, feel free to drop me a PM, and I can try and answer for you. I don't know as much as a lot of the guys but I could give a reasonable answer.
It's tons of fun, aint it? :)
-estone2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
estone2 said:
Congratulations, and welcome. If you odn't get satisfactory questions for anything, feel free to drop me a PM, and I can try and answer for you. I don't know as much as a lot of the guys but I could give a reasonable answer.
It's tons of fun, aint it? :)
-estone2
Thanks, much appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.