Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
so after a couople year of thinking about cycling, im finally trying to find a good first time road bike. I plan to ride about 5-10 miles on the bike especially in the beginning. Are there any brands or model bikes that you guys recommend for under $1000? while i want a road bike i also want a bike that i can use to cruise on the beach with my girlfriend at slower speeds, so a bike which could handle both comfortably would be great.

Thanks!
Thomas

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
In general, road bikes don't fare too well on the beach. For beach riding you'll need wider tires. Tires that you'll usually find on cyclocross bikes, MTN bikes, cruisers, and perhaps a few hybrids. However, there are a few bikes that may suit your prescribed bike, but they're all over your budgeted price point. I can only think of one that comes close and is well within your budget, and that's the following: www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/zilla_xx.htm

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Can you be a little more precise on the "cruising on the beach" comment? If you're talking about trudging through loose sand, then Zeet's pretty much covered the options, although I wouldn't recommend buying a first bike online.

OTOH, if you're talking cruising along boardwalks/ paved surfaces along the beach, for such short distances, a hybrid will fill your needs - and for quite a bit less than $1k.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
In general, road bikes don't fare to well on the beach. For beach riding you'll need wider tires. Tires that you'll usually find on cyclocross bikes, MTN bikes, cruisers, and perhaps a few hybrids. However, there are a few bikes that may suit your prescribed bike, but they're all over your budgeted price point. I can only think of one that comes close and is well within your budget, and that's the following: www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/zilla_xx.htm
Otherwise, I'd recommend the Cannondale Quick CX 4, the Jamis Coda Comp, the Jamis Durango Comp, and the Scott Metrix 30.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I meant on the concrete path along the beach. Sorry
For that type of recreational use (casual/ JRA), a hybrid will suite your needs.

However, if you think you'll ever get more serious and get into charity/ longer endurance rides, consider a drop bar bike. More options for hand positions and (generally speaking) a bike that is designed to cover longer distances, faster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For that type of recreational use (casual/ JRA), a hybrid will suite your needs.

However, if you think you'll ever get more serious and get into charity/ longer endurance rides, consider a drop bar bike. More options for hand positions and (generally speaking) a bike that is designed to cover longer distances, faster.
Any drop bad or hybrid models u recomend?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Cannondale Quick 4 - Cannondale Quick CX 4 - Cannondale Bad Boy 9 - Jamis Coda Comp - Raleigh Cadent FT2

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Any drop bad or hybrid models u recomend?
The shop and fit services are at least as important as specific brands/ models. If you're on the fence as to which (drop bar or hybrid) is the better choice, visit some shops, discuss your intended uses/ goals, price range and let them recommend some bikes - both hybrid and drop bar. Get sized/ fitted and head out on the roads for test rides.

That IMO/E is the best way to determine your preferences and whittle the field.

Really, any of several brands offer quality products with strong warranties... Jamis, Trek, Specialized, Giant, C'dale, Raleigh, Felt (among others).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you will really only be doing 5-10 miles and beach path cruises a hybrid will be fine. If you think you may get into biking and 5-10 miles may turn into 20 + then I would recommend a comfort/endurance style road bike like a synapse or Roubaix

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.