Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if in the states they have "RTF" rides, but in Germany they have them many times through out the summer months. I have been riding a road bike for almost 2 years, but have never really been on a big group ride or race yet...normally I ride with my wife and a few friends.
So, today I decided to go on an RTF ride...sign-up was between 0700 and 0900. I got there about 0830 and got changed then wandered over to get signed up...as I was walking over I noticed riders passing me going the other way...so I thought they were going to the starting point. After I got signed up, went back and got my bike...and followed a couple of guys to the starting point...only after 2 miles or so I am thinking "wtf...how far is the starting point"...so I pulled up on the guy in front of me, asked if he spoke English, he said "uhhhh a little bit" then after asking where the starting point was, he said "you have already begun". So, I tucked in behind him as I wanted to save my legs as my wife and I had done a 40 mile loop yesterday...so I wasn't sure how strong I would be. Germany is tons of rolling hills...then as you get closer to the Black Forrest the hills become more like mountains. We (me and 2 other guys) were keeping a pace of 19.7 for a good while...and not having ridden in groups; I didn’t want to look back much....but couldn't help taking a glance after about 8 miles. When I looked back there was a freight train behind us...which was awesome (new guy...lol), then suddenly 2 tandem bikes smoked by us...and I kept calm, and didn’t try to dice with them, I wasn't going to leave my new friends. Then suddenly a group of about 30 went by, the wind noise stopped...and all I heard was tires and talking....which was cool too...only this time I decided to leave my new friends and chase the group. We cruised along at about 22 for another 6 miles until we got to the first big climb...I was at the tail of this group and wanted to try to jump in the middle...so I drove in a little hard in the corner, went wide...then passed half the group...only to have them crawl away from me on the climb. There was no way I could keep the pace with them on the long climb...then my new friends caught me...and I stayed with them for a bit...and passed them on the decent...and almost caught the big group again. Then a few more climbs, my legs started to tire (I am 43...and lift, so I am about 225lbs)...having big arms doesn't do much when riding...I am learning. Anyway...I kept going and caught a group of women...passed most of them, and then rode with the leading 2. I think I can hold my own pretty well….for the most part while riding. I know being heavy doesn’t help and I have come to terms with that, but it doesn’t keep me from giving it everything when I ride. So, I followed 2 women to the top of a climb, but they slowed up too much going down the other side, so I took off…only to have them catch me on the next climb…we all laughed each time this happened. On the last big climb of the day my legs had had enough and started cramping…so I pulled off and stretched for a while….which did the trick. At three different points along the course there are rest areas with drinks and food. At the top of the last climb I grabbed some juice, and talked with the 2 ladies for a minute…then left before them…to see if I could hold them off to the finish…lol. I never saw them again…or my 2 friends from early in the ride. So…after about 50 miles of rolling hills it was one of the best experiences I have had on my road bike. I read someone’s post about not being able to decent…that is my strong point, I need to work on climbing…but I like food and lifting too, so I will just grind it out, unless the racing bug bites me. Thanks for reading!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tanks said:
Glad you had a good ride. BTW, maybe I missed it, what does RTF stand for?
lol...I'm not sure. I will find out on the next one. They have a bunch of them...and each one is sponsored by a different bike shop. Kind of a cool deal, you have 4 different distances you can ride, and there is food at the end and a million Germans talking...really loud.

·
but thinking about it
1,441 Posts
Radtourenfahrt

Kawboy8 said:
lol...I'm not sure. I will find out on the next one. They have a bunch of them...and each one is sponsored by a different bike shop. Kind of a cool deal, you have 4 different distances you can ride, and there is food at the end and a million Germans talking...really loud.
Not a race, but an organized ride, and there's a "system" to it, I think, with points and rankings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Rad Tour Farht. I use to live in germany. some of those rides , rain or shine, can turn into some heavy group rides. Did them every sunday. The US is so far behind in organized rides. They used to cost about 3-5 dollars with food at the rest stops. Find a ride like that here in the US.

enjoy your RTF's. I miss them, I love the ones that went into france. They had wine at the stops a long the way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
robbyracer said:
Sounds like fun! I gotta sack up and do one of our LBS's group rides. They call it the pain train so it's gotta be fun, right???
I don't know man...lol. Pain doesnt always hurt. I did have a good time on the RTF...even on the climbs that hurt me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.