Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to do a sprint triathlon in June. I've never been much of a runner, and my swimming is strong, but the distance is going to need some work. :)

The question is which class to enter. I'm 39 years old, and about 210 lbs. My first instinct is to race Clydesdale, but I can just see getting my ass handed to me by a bunch of 20-something ex-HS-football players. OTOH, I'm sure there are a lot of really strong athletes in the 35-40 age bracket. I'm not expecting to be competitive, but would really like to feel like I put in a strong performance.

Any thoughts?

Jim

·
Opus was just napping
22,325 Posts
If they have a novice class (which except for sandbaggers) is supposed to be for first timers sign up for that. Clyde is good especially if they divide it into age groupers as well (most larger events will). The benefits of novice is that you will be released last...so if you do fall behind on the swim, you will not get run over by the next wave behind you.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
Seamus said:
I'm planning to do a sprint triathlon in June. I've never been much of a runner, and my swimming is strong, but the distance is going to need some work. :)

The question is which class to enter. I'm 39 years old, and about 210 lbs. My first instinct is to race Clydesdale, but I can just see getting my ass handed to me by a bunch of 20-something ex-HS-football players. OTOH, I'm sure there are a lot of really strong athletes in the 35-40 age bracket. I'm not expecting to be competitive, but would really like to feel like I put in a strong performance.

Any thoughts?

Jim
TMB made a good point about being released last but if you're a strong swimmer that won't really matter.....Personally I'd go in the largest group but a good case can be made for the smallest as well......Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just pick one, your performance in this race is against yourself......you can always campare your time to any other group to see how you fared.....

·
Opus was just napping
22,325 Posts
svend said:
TMB made a good point about being released last but if you're a strong swimmer that won't really matter.....Personally I'd go in the largest group but a good case can be made for the smallest as well......Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just pick one, your performance in this race is against yourself......you can always campare your time to any other group to see how you fared.....
I remember my first tri...years ago a did a double sprint at Kure Beach, rough seas, right next to the dock (where they were known to catch little sharks!)...went out in front of my age groupers...felt I was a good swimmer...got caught...got kicked...felt woosy...lost gogges...barely survived...and that was the first of 2 swims at that event...ahhhh memories.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thatsmybush said:
I remember my first tri...years ago a did a double sprint at Kure Beach, rough seas, right next to the dock (where they were known to catch little sharks!)...went out in front of my age groupers...felt I was a good swimmer...got caught...got kicked...felt woosy...lost gogges...barely survived...and that was the first of 2 swims at that event...ahhhh memories.
Sweet! That's what I'm looking forward to...:D

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
thatsmybush said:
Funny, I had a similar experience in a sprint.....for some reason [stupidity] I just bolted at the gun, hit the first buoy with three other guys when suddenly I blew......as the pack passed me I was kicked twice in the head, I did manage to hold onto the goggles but never in my life has 500m seemed so far......good times

·
Registered
64 Posts
if it comes down to clyesdale or age class i say go age class. in the years that i have done tri's there is no shortage of men in your age class that can flat out move. in fact you will find that your age bracket is one, of if not the most competitive. If what you are after is a good comparison and a feeling like you at least held your own, race in the clyde's group. no one over 200, my self included, likes to run, so stick with the big boys first, compare your times to those of your age group and make a decision from there for your next tri. the first one is always full of "experiences" but you will learn the ropes fast. Keep racing.

·
Opus was just napping
22,325 Posts
svend said:
Funny, I had a similar experience in a sprint.....for some reason [stupidity] I just bolted at the gun, hit the first buoy with three other guys when suddenly I blew......as the pack passed me I was kicked twice in the head, I did manage to hold onto the goggles but never in my life has 500m seemed so far......good times
I know a lot of tri-geeks with war stories from their first couple of swims...sort of a right of passage to learn to get out of the way of flailing arms and feet. Now I just look for someone a bit faster than me and let him pull me all the way to shore in a nice water draft...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.