Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to try a sprint Triahtlon(please don't judge ) in N. Georgia the first week of October(water in the70s is freakin cold!). I swear I'm not turning into a tri-freak. I hate running and I'm not a fan of swimming long distances even though I'm a decent swimmer. I'm a terrible runner. I'm only 5'5", so I'm not built for long distance running.

This Triathlon is pretty short: 400m swim, 13 mile bike, 5k run, so I know I can complete it without a problem and a bunch of my friends are doing it. Some have no training and some are former Pro inline speedskaters that haven't trained in years, and a coupld others are still skaters but don't run, swim, or ride. I’m doing it just for fun, but I'm sure my competitiveness will kick in and I will not want to do too bad. I've switched racing(inline speedskating, ice speedskating, cycling) sports enough over 20 years to know that your are pretty much gonna suck at your first race so I'm not too worried about the result as long as I beat all my friends(pride).

May main worries are about the swim since it's the start.
What should I be on the look out for in the other newbs out there?
How do they line up the start?
If there's no CATs and hundreds of people how do you make sure you're don't start too far in back, but not too far in front and screw somebody else up.
Should I wear my standard cycling shorts(not bib) or should I get a set of Tri shorts?
Does it make much of difference?
Tips on the transition from swim to bike?
I've already watched some Tris on TV so I know to clip my shoes to the pedals and put my feet in the shoes once you get going.

Craig

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I will only judge on what you consider cold water. 70 is HOT. I've done no wet suit sprint tris when the air temp is 50 and the water 52. HTFU (J/K)

What are you afraid of in the swim? Are you a strong swimmer? If not, start near the back outside of the heat so that you don't get run over. The water is a bit smoother there and you can pass people later. Plus, if you are not a good swimmer, dealing with the bumping that goes on at the start can be unsettling.

The start depends on the event. Some start in the water, some treading, some run in.

I say better to start back outside and pass people than get in the mix and loose goggles, get kicked, swallow water etc for your first one.

Get tri shorts and practice in them. For all three events. Normal cyclign shorts will fill up with water. Then tend to feel like running in a diaper.

If you choose to clip in your shoes and put then on while riding, you need to practice that A LOT. Some argue it is faster and other say that it is not. I use that method, but have tri specific shoes and am good at it.

For transitions, practice makes perfect. Lay out your stuff and just do reps of T1 and T2.

I used to get wet and run to my stuff and do a T1, and then bike back in and do a T2. over and over. Find out what works. I have gotten my T1 down to :45 and T2 to just over :30 depending on the in/out points.

Craig[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Other tips.

Warm up in reverse. Run a bit. Stretch. bike a bit, re-set bike in trans. Get ready to start and swim a bit if you can.

Start moderate and build to tempo after 100 m

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sdeeer said:
I will only judge on what you consider cold water. 70 is HOT. I've done no wet suit sprint tris when the air temp is 50 and the water 52. HTFU (J/K)
I'm from Miami. Water below 80 is freezing to me. LOL

sdeeer said:
What are you afraid of in the swim? Are you a strong swimmer? If not, start near the back outside of the heat so that you don't get run over. The water is a bit smoother there and you can pass people later. Plus, if you are not a good swimmer, dealing with the bumping that goes on at the start can be unsettling.

The start depends on the event. Some start in the water, some treading, some run in.

I say better to start back outside and pass people than get in the mix and loose goggles, get kicked, swallow water etc for your first one.
I'm not "afraid" of the swim. I've just seen mass starts in Triathlons on TV and don't want to get stuck where I can't pass someone slower or hold up someone behind me that is faster than me. You did answer my question though :)

sdeeer said:
Get tri shorts and practice in them. For all three events. Normal cyclign shorts will fill up with water. Then tend to feel like running in a diaper.

If you choose to clip in your shoes and put then on while riding, you need to practice that A LOT. Some argue it is faster and other say that it is not. I use that method, but have tri specific shoes and am good at it.

For transitions, practice makes perfect. Lay out your stuff and just do reps of T1 and T2.

I used to get wet and run to my stuff and do a T1, and then bike back in and do a T2. over and over. Find out what works. I have gotten my T1 down to :45 and T2 to just over :30 depending on the in/out points.

Great tips!! Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
sdeeer gave a lot of great tips.

I suggest putting your bike shoes on then getting on the bike instead of trying to fumble around on your first one. No reason to make anything more complicated when the few seconds you'll save likely wont matter this time.

Train like you race. If you wear socks in training, wear them while racing. If you're going to do this, find a pair of socks that doesn't suck to put on with wet feet (cycling socks worked great for me).

Do a couple of bricks. You'll be surprised at how terrible your legs feel off the bike until you get used to it.

Do a couple of swim -> (other leg). This will let you get a sense of how much the swim takes out of you.

Most importantly, enjoy it. I'm damned proud of my first tri, even though I was close to DFL. I'll be doing it again.

·
Opus was just napping
21,655 Posts
You hate running and are no fan of swimming distances.

My advice/tip: better to spend time doing things you enjoy.

·
Opus was just napping
21,655 Posts
csh8428 said:
The pride of beating(if/when) my friends will be worth the small amount of time of discomfort.
To each his own...for me, life it so short to do things that I don't enjoy doing.

And if I am going to race...I am going to bust my hump training for it, to be the best I can be. There is no joy in beating some guys that didn't train for an event, don't swim, don't run, and are not taking it seriously.

Training is its own reward...the journey to the race is as good and sometimes even better than race day. The extra miles, the late push, the last hill...those are daily experiences that are to be enjoyed...what does a person get out of a race by showing up for it with the expectation of not getting the best from their body, because they didnt' bother to put anything into it?

I enjoy my races because I know how hard it was to get there--showing up isn't hard anyone that pays an entry fee and can find a place to park at the race site can do that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thatsmybush said:
what does a person get out of a race by showing up for it with the expectation of not getting the best from their body, because they didnt' bother to put anything into it?
Geez.. take things a little to seriously much?:mad2:

I'm doing it for fun!
I'm doing it because my friends are doing it.
I'm doing to spend some time with my friends.
I'm doing it because I enjoy racing, no matter what the kind and whether I've trained my ass off for it or not.
I'm doing it to have fun with a bunch of people because I enjoy the outdoors.

That doesn't mean I don't want to be as knowledgeable I can to make sure I can at least not look like a total idiot when I'm doing it.
I'm not doing this to get 1st overall and start a career to become the next Tim DeBoom.

This is called a hobby! Doing what you talk about is just the opposite of enjoying something. I'm not in cycling to ride countless hours/week, spend tons of time analyzing every little bit of minutiae to see if I gained one second over 25 miles, totalyl forgoing every little bit sanity and social life I have. I do this because I enjoy the exercise and getting out and about.
I already did the "my life is devoted to competition" for 8 or so years as an inline speedskater from 15-22. Then real life came around and that's just impossible given a job and a wife. Its unreasonable to try to juggle all that and try to put in countless hours/week to attain something unattainable(to be the best) THEREFORE; I do what I want so I don't get burned out(or piss off the wife).

·
Opus was just napping
21,655 Posts
csh8428 said:

I'm doing it for fun!
I'm doing it because I enjoy racing, no matter what the kind and whether I've trained my ass off for it or not.

That doesn't mean I don't want to be as knowledgeable I can to make sure I can at least not look like a total idiot when I'm doing it.
I'm not doing this to get 1st overall and start a career to become the next Tim DeBoom.

This is called a hobby! Doing what you talk about is just the opposite of enjoying something. I'm not in cycling to ride countless hours/week, spend tons of time analyzing every little bit of minutiae to see if I gained one second over 25 miles, totalyl forgoing every little bit sanity and social life I have. I do this because I enjoy the exercise and getting out and about.
I already did the "my life is devoted to competition" for 8 or so years as an inline speedskater from 15-22. Then real life came around and that's just impossible given a job and a wife. Its unreasonable to try to juggle all that and try to put in countless hours/week to attain something unattainable(to be the best) THEREFORE; I do what I want so I don't get burned out(or piss off the wife).
You just said that two of the three events in a tri--are not fun, in fact you hate running.

so your logic is...well not logical.

What am I taking to (sic) seriously...I love training--love it.

Every moment I run is pure joy for me. What I don't understand is why you are planning on doing something where 2/3 of disciplines are things you don't like?

I don't have hobbies I don't enjoy...hobbies are something I spend time doing and enjoy getting better at them.

So you have whatever time you are capable of having out at the tri--going as fast as your distaste for the hobbies comprising a triathlon will take you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most athletes will be able to do a sprint triathlon with little to no specific training.

Things I wish I did before my first triathlon that you should do:

Do brick workouts to get used to running off of the bike.
Practice your transitions.
Start the swim on the side that will be inside the corner of the turnaround.

You'll have fun. Tri geeks are a cool bunch...don't get too close though or you'll be converted. Be sure to crush them on the bike.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
csh8428 said:

I'm doing it for fun!

It's no wonder you get cold so easily with that thin skin.

·
Opus was just napping
21,655 Posts
pretender said:
OK I'm calling B.S. on this one.
Just about...this morning was 80 degrees with 90+ percent humidity...ran an extra 3 miles because I was feelin' it.

Don't mind saying it, but the change in running form has really put the extra pep in the step this summer...last summer the heat was dragging me down. This year I just band-aid the nips and get out there.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
thatsmybush said:
Don't mind saying it, but the change in running form has really put the extra pep in the step this summer...last summer the heat was dragging me down. This year I just band-aid the nips and get out there.
That's awesome.

I've given up outdoor running for now. This summer has just been too brutal. I tolerate the dreadmill because I know the outdoor running is coming, and I want to be prepared. Also I don't mind checking up on CNN and ESPN. It was even better during the Tour.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You just said that two of the three events in a tri--are not fun, in fact you hate running.

so your logic is...well not logical.
Doing an event with friends that involves swimming and running is fun for him, while just doing either swimming or running alone exclusively by himself is not. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
400 yards swimming is not a great distance, but can exhaust you if your not warmed up and don't pace yourself. Even if your a decent swimmer, I'd practice that, its a good workout anyways. I've done my local sprint tri the past 10 years, swimming is where I've improved most. My feeling is the bike portion is all out, then the run you just sort of hang on best you can. I'm a runner from youth, enjoy it, but usually run like sh!t in a sprint tri. Pretty spent and tightened up after the bicycle time trial.

·
Registered
442 Posts
csh8428 said:
I've decided to try a sprint Triahtlon
I did my first this year, and the one piece of advice is to start your training NOW!
Things I learned:
-should have done more of the brick workouts
-goggles didn't fit as good w/ the cap on for the race
-you're gonna swim into people and they're gonna swim into you
-running sucks...(well, getting faster)
-practice transitions
-the swim will seem like it's taking forever, but it's really not that long time wise
-it's fun to watch the hot chicks run by me and I get to see their age on their leg :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
nismo73 said:
-it's fun to watch the hot chicks run by me and I get to see their age on their leg :thumbsup:
LOL

1 - 20 of 64 Posts