Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bonus coming from work, and I think it's going to become a SS bike (Salsa Casseroll Uno is currently leading the charge) that I'll use as my commuter. Just to make sure this would work I decided to try the 34 mile commute home tonight using the road bike as an SS. After a few miles I settled on a gear and the miles started rolling by. After my initial instincts to shift, I got over the urge and left the bike alone, settled into a groove and really started to enjoy it.

20 miles in and with the worst of the rollers behind me, I hear BANG, BANG, and then the sound of air leaking out of the rear tire. I come to a stop and find that I'd hit a nail and driven it thru the tire, tube and the entire rim. Back wheel is toast, the nail went in at angle and close enough to the braking surface that it bent the rim enough that a tire won't hook up in that area. Oops.

The upside is that I was really liking the SS thing. I'd read a bunch of posts about simplicity, and getting a better feel for the bike, but kind of blew them off. I think I may be hooked after just one ride. Figure I'll get the bike once the check arrives, do a few commutes SS to get used to it, and start working on riding it as a fixie.

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave - I was a bit apprehensive about the SS thing, 20 miles later, I'm hooked. The Casseroll may be here before the bonus check arrives. I'm really startled by how fun it was to just ride, that was the most enjoyable commute I've had in a long time.

As for the rear wheel - time to follow my own advice and get a Record/Open Pro setup, just need to get one before Triple Bypass next weekend..

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
It's about time! Welcome to the club.

What gearing did you go with?

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I use a 48 x 18 on my fixie. I used to use a 48 x 16, but that was a touch much if the wind ever kicked up. You can pretty much get up anything (including Horsetooth's north dam) on either gearing.

Last weekend, I get a guy from Greeley going up the Big Thomson canyon on a SS road bike. He was on a 44 x 16, I think.

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
I don't ride fixed (yet) but ride quite a bit on my SS bikes. I also lead a ride on Monday nights. This past week I was on a geared bike and one of the riders ask me why I never shift gears. Of course living in the flat lands helps.

As stupid as it sounds, riding SS simplifies the ride in a wonderful way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just joined the SS group this week. Bought a Specialized Langster (the London model). I can't believe how relaxing it is. Took it out on my favorite 25 mile morning loop just to see if/how I could handle the hills. I was surprised to find that my average speed on the single speed bike was less than a mile an hour slower than my road bike. Interesting lesson.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Colorado Jeff said:
I just joined the SS group this week. Bought a Specialized Langster (the London model). I can't believe how relaxing it is. Took it out on my favorite 25 mile morning loop just to see if/how I could handle the hills. I was surprised to find that my average speed on the single speed bike was less than a mile an hour slower than my road bike. Interesting lesson.
Another Colorado convert. Word.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another Colorado convert...

Yep...except I spend most of my time in San Antonio, Texas. I still have a house in Colorado (which gives me an excellent excuse to load both garages with bicycles), but I've been riding my new SS in the Hill Country north of San Antonio.

I may just have to get a SS for the Colorado house... by the way, when I retire and return to Colorado...I'm gonna have a heck of a lot of bicycles for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.