Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Congrats on the mileage, but wtf with the wheels needing truing after just 1,000 miles? Either it is a mediocre build or you're heavy for the wheelset. Not that you want to drop a lot of coin, but perhaps you need something beefier.

When you get the bike in, ask about the quality of the wheel build, the kind of rim, the guage of spoke. Oh, and don't forget to measure that chain...

Keep pedalin'

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to be fair to the bike, I weigh about 250 lbs.

And it's just the front wheel as far as I know, since I can't see the back wheel when I'm riding. The front has a spot that is out, you can really feel it when you're on the brakes.

As far as beefier, it's just the stock wheel on a Giant OCR3. Anything I can do without spending a lot of money? Should I just ride out the rest of this year? I might try to convince my wife I need a new wheelset or even a whole bike this winter.

For the chain, what do I measure? I had planned on taking it down for a service at the bike shop when I hit the 1k mark, but the bike shop in my town has closed down and I'm at least an hour from a shop now.

Anyone live near northern KY that wrenches for beer? :D

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Sounds like you've been having fun.........

1000 miles is nothing to scoff at, especially since 700 of it was done just since March. I think you're doing great, personally!

As far as your wheels are concerned I would'nt necessarily write them off as a bad build just because the front is out of true. Thats why they make spoke wrenches. But you will need to get that corrected. You can do it yourself with all the on-line information that is available, or you can take it to your bike shop and have them de-tension, re-tension and stress relieve it. (that would be my advice) While you're at it have them check your chain too. They can check it quick, and probably for free, but unless it's skipping or jumping off cogs, or stays dirty all the time I would'nt worry too much about it with only a thousand miles on your drive-train. Need to keep your chain cleaned and oiled though. :)

· Registered
160 Posts
Strong wheels

Sindic said:
Well, to be fair to the bike, I weigh about 250 lbs.

And it's just the front wheel as far as I know, since I can't see the back wheel when I'm riding. The front has a spot that is out, you can really feel it when you're on the brakes.
Congratulations!

I made 1000 just a little while back and I was psyched. As for the wheelset, I know you will get many differing opinions but I had Mean Todd at webcyclery (that's not spam) build me a set of wheels using 36 hole Chris King hubs and Mavic rims and they are bomb proof. I know there are much lighter wheels available but heck I weigh 250 also and ride on some super rough roads and not having to worry about the wheels makes for a more pleasant ride.

Props again on the grand.

Jim

· Clyde-o-Matic
728 Posts
Any broken spokes? I usually vary between 230-260 lbs and every OEM rear wheel that I've ever had ends up with 2-4 broken spokes and then I have the LBS relace the whole thing within the first month of a new bike. I think its fairly typical that the original wheels on most bikes are just not built and properly tensioned for big guys. If no broken spokes, I would follow croswell1's advice. Now if you are looking for lighter wheels or want some bling, I would highly recommend Ligero.

· Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Congrats on your 1000! Now do some more!

I just hit 4100 miles on my Giant TCR and am pretty happy with it.

I've had to true the rear wheel once when I encountered a particularly
bad railroad crossing when the bike was new but it's been golden ever
since.

Interestingly, riding made me lose weight to the point where one of the
guys I ride with said "I can't ride those wheels, I'm too heavy for them".
Hah! I was a Clydesdale at one point but riding took care of that.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never thought I would like cycling as much as I do. And I never thought I would be wearing spandex stuff while pedaling one.

But thanks everyone, for the encouragement, and if anyone is near here, I would love to meet up for a ride sometime. Just think, you can play drop the fat man on the hills!

I'll probably make a trip up to Alexandria this week to have Montgomery Cyclery do a routine service and true my wheels. No broken spokes so far!

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
Congrats on your 1000! Now do some more!

I just hit 4100 miles on my Giant TCR and am pretty happy with it..

Thats great, alien!!

Not trying to be one-up on your mileage, but coming home from work this morning on my commute my Blackburn clicked over 9000 miles - all that since March too. :D

~naw, just kidding. March 2001 :blush2: :D

· Registered
21,834 Posts
untrue!

Sindic said:
Does the rim really have a wobble, or is it just grabby with the brakes? Grabby could just mean that you need to Scotchbrite the braking surface or sandpaper the brake pads. Spin the wheels slowly and watch the gap between the rim and the brake pads - that will tell you if things need truing.

To measure the chain, just get a decent ruler and measure 24 links (12 inches). Place the ruler mark carefully at one chain pin. The chain is considered worn out when you have 1/16" elongation over those 12 inches of original length.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tip, Kerry!

The front rim definitely has a wobble, there's just a bent spot in it, probably the result of fat and pothole coming together. I'm going to see Montgomery Cyclery this Wednesday for a tune-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.