Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been riding for a long time, but never tried putting a bike together. For my next bike, I really want to give it a try, but I'm not sure about matching components to the frame. I feel really lame just posting my frame measurements and asking for help, but I had trouble finding help by searching. If it's easy for someone to just tell me what I should get, then that's great, or if someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great too. Here's my frame info:

58CM Size
700 C Wheel Use
564mm Top Tube (C-C)
58cm Seat Tube (C-T)
190mm Head Tube
68mm BB Width, English
Internal 1 1/8" Headset Use
Band Mount
408mm ChainStay
31.6mm Seatpost
34.9mm Seat Post Clamp
130mm R Frame Width
74°Head Tube angle
72.5°Seat Tube angle

I'm interested in picking up a RED group for it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Will

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
willhs said:
Hi all,

I've been riding for a long time, but never tried putting a bike together. For my next bike, I really want to give it a try, but I'm not sure about matching components to the frame. I feel really lame just posting my frame measurements and asking for help, but I had trouble finding help by searching. If it's easy for someone to just tell me what I should get, then that's great, or if someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great too. Here's my frame info:

58CM Size
700 C Wheel Use
564mm Top Tube (C-C)
58cm Seat Tube (C-T)
190mm Head Tube
68mm BB Width, English
Band Mount
408mm ChainStay
31.6mm Seatpost
34.9mm Seat Post Clamp
130mm R Frame Width
74°Head Tube angle
72.5°Seat Tube angle

I'm interested in picking up a RED group for it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Will
Terrific!

Ahem.

What exactly are you asking?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh, sorry, I guess my first real question is, what do I need to get in terms of sizes for the RED group? I'm hoping to pick up the group off of ebay for a good price... but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. This could be a silly question...

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
willhs said:
Heh, sorry, I guess my first real question is, what do I need to get in terms of sizes for the RED group? I'm hoping to pick up the group off of ebay for a good price... but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. This could be a silly question...
Ah! Well, I'm a Shimano guy, so I'll have to let someone else field the RED sizing question. Your project sounds interesting. Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Sizing?

willhs said:
Heh, sorry, I guess my first real question is, what do I need to get in terms of sizes for the RED group?
What do you mean by sizes? Crank length is personal choice, chainrings and cassettes depend on your strength and how steep your hills are, front derailleur clamp is determined by your seat tube diameter, and stem length is determined by your desired position combined wth your torso and arm length. It's not clear to me what you are asking.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, sorry, I guess maybe I should be asking the guy who's selling the frame. I guess I'm just not sure if the bottom bracket is the right size, or if the derailers will clamp on properly. It's more a question of "is the frame actually compatible with the group?" As far as the other settings like the cassette size, I think I have that worked out.

I'm just wondering if this frame:

58CM Size
700 C Wheel Use
564mm Top Tube (C-C)
58cm Seat Tube (C-T)
190mm Head Tube
68mm BB Width, English
Band Mount
408mm ChainStay
31.6mm Seatpost
34.9mm Seat Post Clamp
130mm R Frame Width
74°Head Tube angle
72.5°Seat Tube angle

Will fit this group:

Sram Red Standard Crankset 172.5 53/39
Sram Red /Truvativ Team GXP Black box Ceramic Bottom Bracket (English)
Sram Red Powerdome 11-26 Cassette
Sram Red DoubleTap Shifters/Brake Levers with New Gore Cables and Housing
Sram Red Front Clamp-On Derailleur - 31.8
Sram Red Rear Derailleur
Sram Red Brake Calipers
Sram 1090R 10 speed, hollow link Chain

I guess I probably need more info, since I'm not sure if the front derailer clamp of 31.8 would work with the 31.6 seatpost (I'm not sure if "seapost" means the seatpost or the seat tube...).

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Your front derailleur clamp size should be the same as the outside diameter of the seat tube in the spot where you install the front derailleur. A set of calipers will tell you if 31.8 is the right size.
The seat post will fit and has nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You need a 34.9mm front derailleur, not the 31.8mm size listed in the group. Apart from that, everything should fit ok. However, consider a 12-25 or 12-26 cassette instead of the 11-26 as you gain a 16 sprocket instead of the 11 which is useful more of the time.

The 31.6mm seatpost diameter has nothing to do with the front derailleur size, as the front derailleur clamps round the seat tube not the seatpost.

One more thing, just make sure you want a 172.5mm crank length. This length is often fitted to medium sized bike frames.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, guys, thank you so much!! That was crazy helpful. I will report back when I've made more progress.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Just because the seatpost clamp it requires is 34.9mm, doesn't mean the derailleur clamp will be the same, now does it?

My CAAD build requires a 31.8mm seatpost clamp and a 34.9mm derailleur clamp.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hm... okay that part is confusing to me. How can I tell what the derailler clamp is, then? Is it always more than the seatpost clamp, can it be the same?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
willhs said:
Hm... okay that part is confusing to me. How can I tell what the derailler clamp is, then? Is it always more than the seatpost clamp, can it be the same?
More often than not the seatpost clamp and front derailleur clamp are the same size, but not always. I just didn't want anyone reading this thread just assuming this is always the case. I have two Cannondales - a Synapse and a CAAD9 - both have 31.8mm seatpost clamps and 34.9mm front derailleur clamps.

I don't recall you actually saying what frame this is. Do you know the make/model? If you did it would be easy enough to look it up.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
willhs said:
The front derailleur clamp clamp holds the front derailleur and sits closer to the bottom of the seat tube. When the front derailleur is engaged, it should swing over the large chainring with about 2 mm clearance.

The seat post clamp sits around the top of the seat tube and prevents the seat post from sliding down into the seat tube.

The clamp diameters can be the same, but to avoid disappointment, you will need to measure. If you tell me the make and model frame you are buying, I can prbably tell you the correct size. Or you can google it yourself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys -- I am not totally sure, but I think the discrepancy between the 31.6mm Seatpost and 34.9mm Seat Post Clamp measurements indicates that the actual clamp spot is 34.9... but I'm not sure. I hate to admit this, but I'm actually buying the cheap carbon road frame available on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Full-...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found decent reports from people who have bought them, and I've PMed people on ebay who have bought them, and got nothing but positive responses. I'm sure it is a lower quality frame, but I'm on a grad student budget... thinking of combining that frame with ebay SRAM Force.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Don't worry man, the cheap carbon on Ebay is TOP NOTCH.

the 34.9mm refers to the front derailleur.

IT does take 31.6mm seatpost.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's okay if you don't like the frame.

I'm worried about getting the right clamp size for the front derailer. I have the correct seat post size.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Just a question out of curiosity... are you going for older SRAM Force parts off eBay or the '09 version?

If you're looking at '09 and you're on a grad student budget, why not go for the Rival instead? You save a good deal of money and only add a few grams to the total weight.

I was recently in the same position but decided the few extra grams being saved by getting '09 Force just wasn't worth it.

Just my .02.

-Chris

P.S. There's nothing wrong with that frame, by the way. I've also read a bunch of good reviews and the price is right :) Good luck on the build!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great question, Chris. Actually, I found that Rival surprisingly doesn't go for much under retail on ebay, whereas Force and Red do. It's only $100 more for Force ($885 shipped). It's almost a slippery slope to Red ($1,395 shipped) but not quite.

And, I'm waiting until the next cashback thing from Live.com (it has hit 25% in the past, but 10-15% is more common).

Basically, I can get all carbon fiber + SRAM force and decent wheels for $1,500.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts