Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Giant vs. Scott????

Several of you helped me out a couple days ago. I am still in the process of buying my first road bike. I decided to buy new at a LBS rather than on-line or used. This bike willbe used fr sprint-triathlons. Remember I am a first time buyer, so I have a budget and am trying to get the most bang for my buck.

So.... now here is my question... I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes

1. 2008 Giant TCR Women's - Full Shimano Tiagra for $870
2. 2007 Scott Speedster - Full Shimano Tiagra for 799

Any thoughts? Please let me know, as I am going to purchase one of them tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
90 Posts
buy the one that fits better!

That's what everyone else will tell you anyway. The equipment spec is the same for both, so the one that's more comfortable will be the best choice, regardless of the price difference, which is pretty small. Make sure the shop sets it for you correctly and that they will do at least a couple free fit adjustments. As you acclimate to cycling your position on the bike will change.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Aesthetics. Same components, same fit--get the one you think looks nicer. You're talking about the Speedster 40 & the TCR W, right?

Assuming your shop is going to fit you equivalently to either bike (e.g., do stuff like swap out the stem if needed), get the one you think looks nicer.

I'd personally go for the Scott. Nothing wrong with Giant, it's just way more common--at least where I live. Looks wise, I like the Scott frame a bit better. I like how the seatstays join the seattube at the same location as the top tube. For the Giant, they join a bit lower, which I think looks just a tad weird. I'm also just not a fan of compact geometry, so I like Scott's semi-compact look better. But I like the Giant's paint job better.

One more thing--I also assumed the same shop. if they are at different shops and one is demonstratively better than the other, I'd lean towards getting the bike there.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Just a comment on Chang100's comment. Since this is your first road bike, and you're obviously a newbie, (that's in no way a put down) How would you know if the bike fit you well, or if one fit better than the other. There are people who've been riding for 10 years, who don't know that.

Assuming the bike shop said they fit all right, and assuming you like them equally well, get the one that's painted the color you like best. You could have the best bike in the world, but if you think it's really ugly, you'll never like it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree to use what fits best. although you cant tell comfort immediately being a "noob" ( no offense intended) what you can do is tell what doesnt fit. I dont know that giant but I do know that they make good bikes. I can also tell you that I have a Scott Speedster S10 and I love it. Very fast and all day comfortable. Tiagra isnt exactly great but itll get you by for now. Id suggest going on ebay and grabbing some ultegra brake calipers and a rear der. itll be a vast improvement over the tiagra and wont cost you much. either way youll love road biking and its a great investment no matter what you choose to go with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.