Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week i tried a road bike, to be more specific it was a caad 9 and well i loved it!!!
It was a hot day around 87f, no wind whatsoever and on a flat road when i decided to make a a sprint and ride it as fast as i could. The bicycle was equipped with a speedometer so i was able to check the speed that i was going. When doing the sprint i decided to look at the speed and it was 30.6mph, i was able to hold it for no more than 6 secs before my guts come out ! Lol
Is that a good speed ? I have seen pople on youtube doing group ridings at 28-30mph !!!! But i believe they are professionals ... Im not !
I dont know if this helps but here a little specs of myself : 18yo, 5.9ft, 120lbs
Thanks !!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just keep riding and practicing. I can keep up a 19mph pace for a while, perhaps 10 miles. But there will always been faster riders. I know it can be a little frustrating when you are working so hard and get passed by a group that average 28mph for 40 miles. Just keep working and your endurance will keep getting better. Some of these guys are riding 4 or 5 times a week, 40-60 miles at a time.

·
have droids, will party
582 Posts
Good lord... 5'9" 120lbs? Try seeing how fast you can get up some hills!

Seriously though, if you want to try and bump up your top end start doing intervals. A google search and a few minutes should lead you to the right duration and approach for whatever facet you want to improve on whether it's a flat out sprint or TT style grinding for tons of miles. The other way to improve on this, is to ride with faster people. You'll end up doing intervals just trying to hang on and stay in the group. I'd rather go on a hard ride with others for training than watch a computer, but that's just me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ha! Pro's ride at 28-30 MPH by themselves, after dropping several riders with pure power! Just keep riding and enjoy it. Cycling is a tribute to pain, but once to start seeing yourself getting faster and faster you will be hooked. I'm 31, 5'11" 180 LBS, still have quite a bit of fat/gut to lose, and I can average 21.7 MPH over a solo 40 mile ride. You're young and have a lot of potential. Just don't be afraid of pain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.