Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got my new bike a Fuji Roubaix a set of Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL pedals and
Shimano SH-R085 SPD-SL Shoes! Now I'm all set to take my first ride in clipless pedals!
I have adjusted the pedals like the directions say, Practiced a few time cliping in and un-cliping sitting on the bike. So now any suggestions or tip's before I set out for my first ride in them? I'm a little nervous about it!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
At first unclip way ahead of time before stoplights, stop signs, coming into your driveway etc. Once you get used to them it will be second nature. Some people ride on grass in a park and unclip repeatedly while practicing their braking. Expect to fall over though and get grass stains. Otherwise, you WILL fall over at a stopsign or stoplight at some point and completely embarrass yourself while trying to get up in a hurry. No worries, it happens to all of us.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As a fellow newbie to clipless, I'll share with you what I learned today on my newly extended route home. When you're tired, it's harder to unclip.

What seemed an hour earlier to be an easy, natural motion of the foot will threaten to kill you when you're near the end of a ride and you've just climbed a big hill in a headwind and have to stop at a busy traffic light.

It was the first time I felt panic that I wasn't going to get unclipped in time. Muscles just didn't want to cooperate with me at that particular moment.

This is week 2 in clipless pedals for me.

·
Sharkey
68 Posts
Use a stationary trainer

When my wife switched over to clipless pedals, she was TERRIFIED of falling over - she has broken her wrist before and didn't want a repeat injury.

I borrowed a stationary trainer from a friend (now that it's summer, everyone's trainer is collecting dust anyway). Do training sessions each night until the process of getting out of the pedals is automatic . . .

Thankfully, my wife made the transition to clipless without falling once!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been clipless for a year now, and also chose 540 SPDs, which I still use - a good choice I believe.

My advice is Focus, Focus, Focus..! It does become second nature at routine stops (stop streets, light etc) but if there is something that is distracting, then Focus on unclipping and the direction to which you lean vs. your unclipped foot. Watch the camber of the road vs the side of your unclipped foot - I fell over two weeks ago, talking to buddies at a stop street as I unclipped my left foot, and the camber of the road caused me to lean to the right - bang! :blush2: :eek:ut:

Good luck, it is the way to go.

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
If you sense the bike leaning the 'wrong' direction at a stop (ie, the side you're still clipped into), quickly turn the handlebars into the direction of the fall -- thereby forcing the bike to lean to the opposite 'correct' side.

Often this is quicker than frantically trying to unclip the unexpected side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
John Nelson said:
If you don't fall at least once or twice in the first few months, I think you'll be the first one. The good news is that the fall will be at very low speed and your pride will be the most serious thing hurt.
very very true. I took a dip the first week I got my Keo Classics. :mad2:

It's a learning experience. Get on a trainer and practice clipping and unclipping w/out staring at your feet. That's what i'm doing at the moment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well done about 15 miles today in the Clipless pedals, Didn't have any trouble!
Even the couple of time I had to stop quickly because of walker's not paying attention to "coming around on the left warnings" It's amazing how many will step right in front of you! Like they don't know left from right!
I always expect them to do it so I plan ahead for it!
Anyway at least this trip out it felt almost natural in them. Cipped in without having to look and really felt good in them! So day one was a success!
Hope the next trip is as good and uneventful! HaHaHa!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
tom_h said:
If you sense the bike leaning the 'wrong' direction at a stop (ie, the side you're still clipped into), quickly turn the handlebars into the direction of the fall -- thereby forcing the bike to lean to the opposite 'correct' side.

Thanks Tom, that soundsquite sensible - just have to commit it to instinct!

·
Registered
39 Posts
tom_h said:

Thanks Tom, that sounds quite sensible - just have to commit it to instinct!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Joined the ranks of clipless pedal people and was so excited when I got home after 30 mile ride that I ... Fell Over having forgotten to un-clip!!! I did well all day at stop signs, lights, resting points, etc... then forgot at home. Little cherry on the knee and elbow ... bigger pain to the ego LOL!!!:mad2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.