Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time to try to install tubulars. I put two coats of glue on tire and rim waiting 24 hours in-between for drying. Then I put a third layer on the rim and let dry for 15 minutes, than installed the tire. The problem was when I went to straighten the tire (which I tried immediately after installing) there was no moving it! I tried till I had blisters, but just wouldn't do. The glue worked too well!! Question: Was 15 minutes on the last coat too long before installing the tire?? Not long enough??? Any ideas where I went wrong? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Could be you need to wait a little longer. I know Lennard Zinn recommends 15 minutes, but I fine 30 minutes works fine, keeps the tire (& me) from getting all gummied up, and allows me to easily center the tire.

You may also have put on way too much rim cement with each application. Also, I found Zinn's specs make the tire almost inseparable from the rim, so I've scaled back to one application of cement on the rim and the tire, and then a second application on the rim before mounting the tubular 1/2 hour later.

BTW, use a nylon tire iron to get under the tubular if you need to pry it off the rim. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tubbies

make sure the tire is stretched out adequately prior to mounting. In extra clincher wheel will do...mount the tire and inflate to around 100psi and leave for >12 hours.

I was worried about my tire coming off in a turn...until I tried to take one off due to a faulty valve. Holy cow! I had a hard time...complete w/ blisters

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
For years, I used to mount them immediately (like Spunout) after applying the final thin coat, then changed to mounting them when the final coat was just beginning to get tacky, usually in 1-2 minutes after application. Either way, it gave me plenty of time to center the tires. I think 15 minutes of wait time is too long—the glue is almost dry and will act like a good contact cement with that immediate and irrevocable bond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.