Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first time poster that needs some advice. I currently ride a 2006 Cannondale R800 on the Original equipment wheels which are Shimano WH-R550. I'm 5'9 and weigh about 205 lbs. I'm a flatlander, live in Chicago, I do some triathlons(international distance...but I'm in it for fun/fitness and not for winning, though improving my times would be nice:)) and hope to do my first century this summer....currently riding 2-3 days a week. My current wheels have served me wheel, but recently hit a pothole and bent the side of the front rim. Its ride able, but I don't think its very safe(?) and my braking on the wheel is obviously not the same.
So, I'm looking at getting a new wheel set. I would like something a little more aerodynamic(since I do like Tri's) and from the forum, appears it would serve me well to go with a higher spoke count of 32 or 36 due to my weight, and may be best to have a set built up for me. I have not talked to my LBS yet, basically because I don't want to get talked into something I don't need or not suitable for my purpose. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
You ABSOLUTELY MUST go custom hand built....hehehe.. No, not really. I have ridden stock wheels and I vary in weight from 195-205lbs and have never had a problem on stock wheels (20-24 spokes and one set with even lower).

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Considering that your current wheels have not been problematic, you do not need a high spoke count... and high spoke counts increase aero drag, so that is something to consider as well. The Shimano wheels have good aerodynamics... it would be difficult to improve on that with aluminum rims.

Have you looked into getting your rim repaired/replaced?
What is your budget for new wheels?

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
How about something laced to Velocity Deep V's? They're strong, and deep enough to be more aerodynamic than Open Pros.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your assistance, good to know I don't need to go for the extra spoke count at my limits. I just want a good, solid wheelset that I can use for everything I do while improving on what my bike came with. I looked at the Kinlin's(what I can find online), but I think they will be out of of my budget after all is said and done. Really don't want to go much over $500.
Thanks again for all your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts