Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first timer to this forum and im looking for some advice and wisdom on a new bike.

I am in my 3rd year on a 58cm Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team bike with DA9 and the typical bontrager package and I am looking for something new.

I'm 6'2 and weigh 230, not exactly a climber!!, but here in Orlando Florida i can hang with most of the locals in our group rides. I ride around 120 to 150 miles a week and mostly by my self. Do some fast group rides here and there, but no racing.

I have previously also had an 04 Litespeed Ultimate but sold it. Compared to my Klein it just didn't seem stiff at all and the geometry just didn't work for me.

Im looking for something italian with a campy set-up. I really dont want a trek as everyone and their dog has one. Question is weather I should go all carbon or stick with an al/carbon combination. Im thinking al/carbon so i can buy high end components and not break the bank on all the goodies.

Would appreciate some thoughts and possibly some recommendations. May even look as something used but not abused. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
What is your budget?

Seems like you are thinking $3-4,000.

If so get a Waterford, Kirk, Sachs or a Vanilla. No one does it better than American frame builders and nothing rides better than a one-of built just for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right on the price. 3500 is the area im thinking.

haven't thought about a custom frame but it certainly makes sense.

I'm kind of hung up on getting an all italian bike. not sure why really, just kind of like the uniqueness, history and the racing pedigree.

Im familiar with waterford but not the others. i'll do some hunting around on the net for them. thanks

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I'm surprised your Litespeed Ultimate didn't feel stiff to you. I think that's a very stiff bike with its oversized tubeset, 6/4 ti and all. But anyhoo...

Have you looked at GVH Bikes? I've not been on the website lately but they've usually got several italian options and can build 'em up for you. Have you thought about whether you want steel or aluminum?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compared to a Klein the Ultimate wasn't as stiff at all. personal opinion of course. i don't know gvh but i'll check them out.

really interested in carbon vs. al/carbon combo. anyone with experience with both? pros and cons?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
il sogno said:
Colnago is an obvious rec.

How about De Rosa or Pegoretti?
Peg would be a great big guy bike. I really like my COlnago MXL...I'm about yuor height but only 200 so YMMV, but the MXL feels plenty stiff to me in my 62cm frame size. Note that different wheelsets will affect this feeling of stiffness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.