Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have replaced rims on wheels, this will be my first 'from scratch' wheel build. I expect to get most items from bikehubstore, but so far the only purchases are the hubs, SL79 (20H) for front, and SL210 (24H) for rear. Now to decide on spokes, nipples, and rims.....

I'm a 155-160lb roadie that mostly accels at spinning on extended climbs, but also do semi-competitive group rides which result in a few sprints a week.

For rims, I am swinging between the Pacenti SL23 and Stan's ZTR Alpha 340. Seems like the Pacenti is a resounding 450g, while the 340 figures vary between 350-380g. Seems the 340 has gone through a few redesigns, resulting in the varying figures? Opinions on the rims? SL23 is slightly wider and deeper. Is a 340 20/24 at my weight do-able?

For nipples, either the Sapim Brass Poly-Ax, or Sapim Aluminum Poly-Ax. Brass does weigh about 3x that of aluminum, but I keep reading aluminum is a pain because it is soft, because it corodes, and because it will surely weld to the rim over time (how much time?). Opinions? I live in Tucson, AZ, where rain is mostly a non-issue.

For spokes, I'm thinking either Sapim Race or Laser. I've read that the Lasers are more difficult to work with because of they are 1.5mm compared to 1.8mm. Is that a real problem? About 1g difference/spoke.

Thanks for any feedback. I'm a pretty particular and AR guy, and this has been a blast calculating weights and considering the 'what ifs'.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
Great to hear your going to build your own wheels. I think you will find it to be a very rewarding process.
Regarding the rims I think it depends. For those who want to prioritize weight over everything the 340s are hard to beat. However for all real world applications I think the SL23 is superior in almost every way. It is much stiffer which makes it more capable of handling a large range of rider weights. It also happens to quite light considering its 24x26mm profile.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
For nipples, either the Sapim Brass Poly-Ax, or Sapim Aluminum Poly-Ax. Brass does weigh about 3x that of aluminum, but I keep reading aluminum is a pain because it is soft, because it corodes, and because it will surely weld to the rim over time (how much time?). Opinions?
I'm a exclusive user of aluminum nipples (I don't think I have a brass nipple on any of my {approx} 8 wheelsets) and have been for about 15 years with only one nipple failure. So "being a pain" is not one of their attributes in my findings. Weld to the rim? I've never heard that one before and certainly have never experienced it. I grease the seats and anti-seize the threads. Years and lots of mud later (on my MTB wheels) they're still free.

For spokes, I'm thinking either Sapim Race or Laser. I've read that the Lasers are more difficult to work with because of they are 1.5mm compared to 1.8mm. Is that a real problem?
Yes they're harder to work with. Your spoke "optimization" has to be exemplary. There's lots of help for that on my site.

I'm a pretty particular and AR guy
However bad you are I would give you a run for your money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.