Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am 54 years old , and want to start racing. What racing catigory would i need to start at. Would it be cat 5 or seniors etc?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
you have to start in cat 5...to upgrade from 5 to 4, you need "experience in 10 mass-start races, but local associations may also establish policies where upgrade credit is given for taking a sanctioned rider education clinic."
you can race "elite" 5 (which is usa cycling speak for 'senior', meaning not junior or masters) or "masters" 5, (which is usually 35 and older).
some race promoters will group 4 and 5 together, especially in the masters age brackets, so you might see 35+ 4/5, 45+ 4/5, etc

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
spinnertsaf said:
so there is no just a race for guys my age and older only?
Most masters races are for cat 4 or higher. You have to upgrade from cat 5 to 4 to compete in these races.

Don't think that they're slower just because they're older.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Masters 35+ cat 4/5 in my area...I'm 55 and started when I was 53. Don't start out in 50+...most of those guys are cat 1,2 ex-pro's etc. They will kill you. Open Cat 5 is too skittish for me. Many races have the Masters 35+ 4/5 and should several guys just like you. Good luck.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Age graded Cat 5

spinnertsaf said:
so there is no just a race for guys my age and older only?
If there are enough entries in the Cat 5 races, the promoter will typically split the field by age groups. Unfortunately, those splits are often 20-29 and 30+, so you end up going against a lot younger guys. Sometimes they will offer awards in more age groups but race everyone together, so even if you're the 10th guy across the line, you might get "first place in the 50 and older." It depends totally on how the promoter sets things up.

I used to race a local criterium (one race per year so I never upgraded to Cat 4) and I knew the promoter. I complained that I was racing against guys young enough to be my kids, so he bumped the age split from 30+ to 35+ They were still a lot younger, but not as bad.

·
15,563 Posts
T-Doc said:
Masters 35+ cat 4/5 in my area...I'm 55 and started when I was 53. Don't start out in 50+...most of those guys are cat 1,2 ex-pro's etc. They will kill you. Open Cat 5 is too skittish for me. Many races have the Masters 35+ 4/5 and should several guys just like you. Good luck.
he CAN'T race in that category...he can ONLY race in a cat 5 group...age graded or not, it has to be cat 5.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
It depends on the promoter.
Many will require you to race cat 5, but some will allow you to race master 50+.
I have to warn you. Masters 50+ is often just as fast as the Cat 3's.

For your first few races, try doing some time trials. You will probably be shocked on how slow you are compared to the top 50's.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Training Partners

spinnertsaf said:
i am 54 years old , and want to start racing. What racing catigory would i need to start at. Would it be cat 5 or seniors etc?
Ask the guys you train with every week. They will know the local racing scene, what Masters categories are offered locally and what the local fields look like. Around here the Masters races are often the fastest or second fastest field of the day so unless you want to do a time trial after you are shelled out the back you might think about entering the Cat. 5 race.

By the way, if you are doing your training solo and dont have training partners to ask then you need to get out and do some group rides and work on your pack skills before you show up at a race.

·
15,563 Posts
T-Doc said:
not true...its where I started that's why its called Masters 4/5
masters 4/5 is fine, but in your previous post you wrote "Don't start out in 50+...most of those guys are cat 1,2 ex-pro's etc. ", which led me to believe you were talking about an open 50+ race w/ 1's, 2's etc. correct?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts