Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, my wife does the shopping when my parents come to watch the kids during the week, but we needed a good load of groceries today, so I hooked up the double-wide kid trailer and headed out for the 2 mile trip to the grocery store.

The whole thing went great, although I would like to put a piece of plywood on the floor of the trailer. It was a pretty heavy load. Considerably heavier than my 2 1/2 year old son. I had about 6 gallons of liquid (milk and juice), a bunch of apples, bananas, yogurt, eggs, and some other stuff that wasn't quite as heavy. Sure can fit a lot of stuff inside that trailer.

I hooked it up to my oldest MTB-turned-commuter that I don't use as a commuter any more. I have flats with toe clips on it, and while going up slight hills, twice, I pulled a foot out of the strap. I really don't like toe clips. At least not these. Hauling probably 75+ lbs without being attached to the pedals wasn't really pleasant. I may try to find another old pair that I had used for commuting a long time ago, which I recall being much easier to use and held me in better.

The only interesting comment I got was when I first got to the grocery store, a woman noticed the empty trailer and said "Um, I hope you didn't lose the kid.". It was pretty funny.

It was nice not driving the pickup or minivan 2 miles to the store. The fact that it was a beautiful day helped.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Your story has reinforced my views that bicycles will be the savior of humanity, kudos Bikes are amazingly efficient at hauling stuff around, and you get stupid strong if you start to tow 75 lbs around really fast.
If people think you are strange grocery shopping on a bike, just wait till you fill up a bike trailer full of paint cans at the hardware store.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
We did a family trip to Costco Saturday. 2 bikes, 2 panniers, 1 Burley Double Wide and 1 Trail-a-bike, 10 miles round trip.

It works really well, just have to stop on the the way there for an hour, so the boys can play at a playground.

$130 in groceries later, loaded the heay stuff in her pannier, and the stonger boy on the trail a bike (he actually helps). The rest goes into my pannier and the bulky stuff and the eggs in the back of the trailer.

The checker and bagger couldn't believe that we did it, worked great :thumbsup:

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
I have been craving a dutch freighter bike (bakfiets) or a three wheeler for just that purpose. Putting groceries in a messenger bag gets sketchy after a certain amount of stuff and a bob trailer is finicky at best for loading and unloading, locking up and containing the load. A trike with a basket or a bike with a freight bed would be king. Plus it is another bike which is nice.

·
BIGchainRING
325 Posts
Great news on discovering biking to the store. I used to just load up a backback with an extra caribiner attached for a shopping bag and a rear rack. That was really difficult carrying that much weight on my back though so I upgraded with front lowrider racks and panniers all around. Now I can get over $100 of groceries on my bike and then ride home. As an extra bonus, I now have a bike completely outfitted for touring if need be.
It is really nice to be freed from driving a car now that gas in SF is over $4. It's also kinda hilarious when the checker asks if I need help out to my car to get all of these groceries home.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ispoke said:
Photos?????
Next time. This was the first time, so somewhat experimental. I'm not used to bringing a camera on rides.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i, too, have been making grocery runs on the bike. i havent gone all-out and done the week's shopping this way. but saturday i rode fixie to get "a few" things. ended up with lots more than i thought.

i need to get the old double wide trailer set for grocery shopping. the rubber aroud teh clamp tore off, so i need to re-rubberize it. will also throw down some plywood. should hold a cooler nicely.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't take pics, but I did another grocery run this weekend. Not as much stuff as last time, but still 3 gallons of liquids and probably 6-7 other plastic bags of various food related items.

I almost never do the grocery shopping, but these days, I almost want to do it, just to prove a point. And when I do do the shopping, I want it to be as much stuff as possible. There's a definite feeling of satisfaction hauling a weeks worth of groceries for a family of 6, with a bike trailer. Maybe it's a bit of a feeling of superiority or holier-than-thou-ness, but it strokes my ego a bit and it's good for me an my environment.

Plus, regular unleaded gas at the local station hit $4/gal this weekend. I rode right by the gas station on my way to the grocery store. I have to admit, it actually put a smile on my face. Of course the summer vacation to the Outer Banks (6 hour drive) will be a bit painful on the wallet.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
I try not to gloat on my grocery runs, but it's just so darn much more enjoyable than driving that I can't help smiling from ear to ear! Especially cruising through the neighborhoods on quiet Saturday mornings when folks are just stepping out and milling around and setting up yard sales and such. Perhaps a trailer would encourage me to stop at yard sales, but my better half would put her foot down if I came home with a 20 year old custom bowling ball with an Empire Strikes Back theme.

When I was a kid we'd drive down from NY state to the Outer Banks for a week of camping at Bodie Island. Had some nice afternoons flying kites on the beach and we went to the marina for fresh fish just off the boats...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.