Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first try at building a bike and I like how it turned out, it is three weeks old. I do have a problem with the setup in that the rear wheel has rubbed against the left side chainstay (see photo). The distance between the tire and chainstay is 1.5mm. I brought this up to the attention of my LBS. The service folks took pictures and consulted the powers at be and determined that the frame is defective. Gary Fisher will replace my frame for free and the great people at my LBS will labor all my parts over for free. I'm just bummed after all this hard work it came to that, but on the hand I'm happy with how I've been taken care of.

Components:
frame- 09' Gary Fisher Presidio 57cm
wheelset- Shimano Dura-ace 7850 SL running tubeless
tires- Hutchinson Bulldog tubeless
Crankset- Shimano Ultegra SL compact
Chainrings- FSA Pro 36/46
Cassette- Ultegra 11-27
shifters/derails- 09' SRAM Rival
headset- Chris King
BB- Chris King road BB
stem- Thompson X2
seatpost- Thompson elite
saddle- Specialized Toupe Gel
handlebar- FSA K-wing carbon
brakeset- 09' Avid Shorty
pedals- Crank Bros. eggbeaters

Ashamed to post how much I spent for the 19.8lbs of bike.

My questions are:
1) Is my tire rub issue a common occurance? What distance in millimeters should I expect to have between my new frame and tire?

2) Generally what do you think about my choices of components?

thanks for your constructive feedback!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
What the Kitty said. And, that's a great looking bike. 1st I've seen.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
That is one terrific looking Bike.
I've ridden tires that close before. Just need to keep up on wheel staying true and centered.
Maybe skinnier tires.
Maybe Fisher could relieve your chainstays with an indentation. I have an old steel frame that is indented here to provide more tire room.
I'm just rambling. I hope things work out simply for you.
Keep us posted and send more photos of that great looking build.
John

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bulldogs are a very big tire IMHO - I run the same tubeless setup and prefer the Piranha's for racing here in Idaho.

The Piranha's look like they may not have much grip but at low pressure they seem to do very well.

The weight of the your bike won't be an issue unless your course has lots of dismounts with shouldering or suitcasing of the bike.

The most important thing is fit and your comfort level at red lining you heart rate when riding off camber stuff or very steep efforts up or down.

Looks like a very sweet ride!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
looks good

I only have 2 suggestions

1) pitch the carbon bars, and maybe pitch the saddle. I find 'split' saddles with Ti rails die from mounts/dismounts

2) Red Spooky Cantis - work better, squeal less than Avids and will match your other bits of Ano

·
Registered
247 Posts
Chain stay problem

Interesting . . . I had the same issue with my 08 Poprad. The frame was bent and the lbs replaced it with another bike.

·
Fat aging guy on a bike..
347 Posts
Gorgeous bike!!!!

Agreed on ditching the carbon bars.

My cross bike occasionally gets rubs on the chainstays. Its an older frame and does not have the clearance that a newer frame would. Clearance is 1.5mm with Conti clinchers on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why is the seat so far forward on the nonsetback seatpost? Aside from that, great bike I am looking for reasons to get a better CX-bike tha my 105-equipped Focus Mares and your bike shure is inspiring.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
after looking again

I am convinced your bike needs red ano brakes

·
Registered
969 Posts
Is that a steel frame like the poprad? If so, tell the LBS that I'll buy that "defective" frame off of them (for steep discount of course) and I'll straighten those chainstays myself!

Beautiful bike man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your fine suggestions, I should consider your ideas. I am surprised that my clearance issue is somewhat more common than I thought. I guess I could try different tire makers, but the reason for buying the Shimano 7850 SL's was to go tubeless.

@ atpjunkie and @ cyklopath: 1) What are the advantages for ME going non-carbon bars? I choose this particular bar for fit over everything else. I needed a 42cm compact bar with a shallow drop (125mm) and a short reach (90mm). Prior to the FSA bar I tried two other bars and had wrist pain and pain between my shoulder blades. I have access to my own MRI systems and had scans of myself. I unfortunately found a disc problem between my shoulder blades (see photo, top vertabra/disc is pinching/poking spinal cord - bottom vertabra is normal) that was giving me discomfort. I consulted my fit expert (I hired a fitter that has been thru Specialized and Serotta fit programs) and we choose the FSA bar for me and I am pain free. I verified the Thompson X2 is compatible with carbon bars. I am 6' 1" tall and 140 lbs so I don't think carbon bars will likely break on me, but I maybe should now keep an eye for fatigue cracks. As far as saddles, I have tried four saddles and the Toupe Gel gives me the greatest comfort. I am hoping because of my built and technique I can get away with this saddle not breaking on me. I will keep an eye on the rails. 2) LBS anodizes naked Paul's once a year and I'm getting me a red pair.

@ plodderslusk: My seat is far forward because of my relatively short femurs for my 6' 1" body. I asked the same question during my fitting when the fitter plumbed the line from my knees to the pedal's axial. We stuck with 172.5mm crank arms therefor that is where my seat aft position landed.

@ pacificaslim: The 09' Gary Fisher Presidio is made by Trek which as you know made the Poprad. Because the bike is new I choose to do the warranty exchange instead of bending. I will inquire your request and let you know if they don't need to return the defected one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@ cyklopath: I looked up FSA bars again and found the Wing Pro is probably the closest alloy bar to my K-Wing carbon. Thanks for the alloy alternative idea, I'll search locally to get a feel for them.

·
A guy from Norway
413 Posts
Very good looking bike you have there, but 6.1, 172.5 crank and seat all that way forward?
Being that tall, you're a 180 candidate. That's a climbing goats crank you have there ;)

Either that frame's STA is a heck of a lot slacker than usual or that bike fitter wasn't much worth going to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts