Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reality Star
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I don't want to hear from those who hate tubular tires and wheels. I've already seen those threads.

I am the proud recipient of a vintage Vitus 992 and I am putting new tubular tires on it, since the present ones are probably more than 4 years old. They pumped up and seem to be holding air well, so far.

I am not contemplating buying new wheels, etc. etc. The bike is in great condition and for the time being I'm going to stick with tubulars. Suggestions for long wearing tires? I am not concerned about weight as much as durability.

The questions I have are) do I "stick" with glue or use Tufo Extreme Tape? Do I put Stan's sealant in, to seal up the latex tube layer? I am hoping to set them up to be as low maintenance as possible for my daughter, who is taking up road cycling.

·
Banned
272 Posts
jesus man thats the nicest wheelsset i have seen on a bike not belonging to a pro. those tires are to die for, where the heck did you get them! and those roubaix rims look flawless.

im jealous

ill buy the wheels off you!

·
Reality Star
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A gift from a friend who recently passed away. The tires are Vittoria Competition, I believe. You think I can get some more miles out of the tires with Pit Stop? Do they need to be re-glued? Or if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

·
Rider
22 Posts
Advice....

The hardest thing to do is give safety advice... Especially when concerning a daughter... Re-glue them. Sure they might not need it. But what if they do??? Go with glue. And if you take the tires off sometimes they can get damaged so be careful, especially around the valve area. New tires might not be a bad idea. Conti makes a gatorskin tubular. Not a bad idea even though I prefer a Vittoria in all cases for myself.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Vittoria tubulars.

Don Duende said:
A gift from a friend who recently passed away. The tires are Vittoria Competition, I believe. You think I can get some more miles out of the tires with Pit Stop? Do they need to be re-glued? Or if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
As long they have no cracks, and the casing/rubber is still supple and soft, then re-glue with Vittoria glue, pre-treat with the pit stop sealant rather than treat after a puncture, ride over good roads, do not over inflate- keep PSI @ 110-115, check your tubulars before and after a ride.
Hey Duende, I still have a Vittoria Rally spare that is 15 years old, and it still performs well, even with dry out walls and rubber, after years of pure neglect!
The Vittoria tubulars are reliable and dependable, besides their durability. :thumbsup: ru1-2cycle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.