Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Props to all of you out there that commute in the snow and really cold stuff, I want to be that guy some day but am not there yet. I'll blame the equipment for now, my only ride is a fragile steel thing that wouldn't take to well to the slush and such. X bike planned for this fall, but in any case...

For me, the first nice day to start to commute to work was yesterday here in New England. Drove in with the bike on the roof intent to ride home then back today. The ride was beautiful, cool but refreshing as I began the 12 mile trip. Passed Lake Manchaug and snapped a photo with my brandy-new stylus 400 that had arrived via UPS the day before, thanks to those who helped me with that here last week. There is a reason the photos are not posted...

About 500 m from my house these two dogs start barking and running along with me to my left in a yard on the other side of a rock wall. I'm going about 21 mph and I think: "I run and ride all the time and have never noticed dogs on that side of the road, but there are two dogs just like those usually tied up on the right hand side..." WHAM! One of the fockers cuts dead across my path and goes directly under my wheel. Superman onto the pot-hole filled pavement where I clank my helmet off the ground and glide to a stop after about 20'. I rise and see the mutt still barking at me (as if crashing me out wasn't enough) in his own yard now. I fired my waterbottle at him, missed, and start yelling at the house demanding that the owners come out side. The dog is gone around back and the homeowners (whom I've never met) come out and apologize. I swore at them for quite some time I think.

Final damage: One 20 hour old olympus stylus 400 digital camera, one Garneau thermozone jacket in my team colors, one Bell Furio helmet, one pair of trek lobster style over mitts, and road rash to the left hip, elbow, and knee. A little stiff neck as well. With no fractures I know it could have been much worse, the layers of clothing helped reduce the injuries significantly. And thank god for modern helmets, I'd have been killed.

I've heard that you'll crash every 1000 miles or so, I'm hoping that this one takes care of the next few months.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Man if that's the case, I'd better not ride again!

I'm due for about 15 crashes by now. :) Glad you're OK. Have the owners offered any compensation? Since it was their dog you may be able to get something from their homeowners insurance. Couldn't hurt.

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing offered, but the guy was clearly accepting of the fact that his dog was at fault. It just so happens that I work in insurance claims and in this state, you are stricly and completely liable for damage or injury your dog causes unless the dog is provoked by teasing, tormenting or trespassing. I intend to seek compensation for my damaged goodies but not for any injuries.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Atta boy.

Don't be too nice-get what's coming to you and I applaud you for not seeking compensation for injuries.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Had mine less than 2 weeks into the new year

Mine was a self inflict. Hit a path of black ice while making a corner at speed.

The bike flew right out from under me and my hip hit the ice hard.

More embarassed than hurt, a car was behind me watching the whole thing.

The only harm is my whole thigh turned reddish brown for about 4 weeks and I tore a small hole in my nice winter jacket.

I'm not sure it's worth the agrivation for you to go after the dog owners. Depends on if the cost of the damaged goods are worth hassling with the owners over. If the dogs are normally penned but got out by accident then I would let it go. If the dogs are always out harrassing bikes I would talk to the owners about compensation. If they blow you off, take a baseball bat with you next time. Dogs learn real quick not to attack bicycles when you break their jaw with a bat. It's a lesson they remember. Just don't let anyone see you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Right Here Dude

Feb. 29, Froze Toes Cat 5 race, Columbia, MO

I'm feeling great, cruising near the front of the lead pack 7 miles in to a 33 miler. Didn't see it but another witness reports a dropped water bottle. In any event, lots of swerving to my right (riders swerving left), one of them swerves right into my front wheel, I feel my handlebars quickly jerk left, and I go down with two others landing on top of me.

I haven't heard myself cuss like that in quite a while, I was really ticked to drive all that way and go down that early when I was feeling that good. :mad:

Frame got bent so I couldn't continue - one of the other two got right back up, the other one needed a wheel and then continued.

One glove, one knee warmer shot. Helmet replaced as a precaution. Frame straightened, bar tape replaced, STI shifter re-jiggered (a spring had gone out or something). About $60 worth of crash-related bike repairs, plus the clothing.

No fractures. Major road rash on right elbow, hip, and knee, with assorted bruises and scrapes all over.

Two days off to heal a bit and get bike fixed, rode again Wed.

Could've been worse.

And I sure hope the ratio isn't one every 1,000 miles or I'm overdue for a few more already, plus those I'll "earn" with this year's miles! :eek:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Man, I think that is BS....

Maybe that just because of the area I live in, but roaming dogs are nothing but an owners liability problem waiting to happen. Pet owners have a duty to keep their dogs restrained. If the dogs caused his crash, I would 100% persue the recovery of all his damages and what is rightfully due to him, right down to a torn pair of socks . He is also due his medical suffering, but already stated that was not a concern for him (not promoting filing false medical claims, only what is due for real injuries). What's going to happen next with these loose beast, attack a child walking down the street......cause an accident with a vehicle full of someones family? Dogs don't belong in the street and the pet owners have a duty to keep their pets under control. If not....they are due what they have coming!

KMan
(hates having to outsprint dogs!)

bimini said:
Mine was a self inflict. Hit a path of black ice while making a corner at speed.

The bike flew right out from under me and my hip hit the ice hard.

More embarassed than hurt, a car was behind me watching the whole thing.

The only harm is my whole thigh turned reddish brown for about 4 weeks and I tore a small hole in my nice winter jacket.

I'm not sure it's worth the agrivation for you to go after the dog owners. Depends on if the cost of the damaged goods are worth hassling with the owners over. If the dogs are normally penned but got out by accident then I would let it go. If the dogs are always out harrassing bikes I would talk to the owners about compensation. If they blow you off, take a baseball bat with you next time. Dogs learn real quick not to attack bicycles when you break their jaw with a bat. It's a lesson they remember. Just don't let anyone see you.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
Thump

Some time in late January- road was good, but black ice under a bridge in the shade (it was 45 degress and sunny, nobody was thinking ice). Minor scaping to outside of one pedal, but the bike was fine as it was riding me rather then the other way around. I had some raspberries and a good bruise, but that's it.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
myette10 said:
I've heard that you'll crash every 1000 miles or so, I'm hoping that this one takes care of the next few months.
Where did you hear that? It's been 30,000 miles or so since I went down. It would take a lot to get me to quit cycling, but a crash every 1000 miles just might do it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think you mean 10,000 miles...

Did you forget a zero? I've heard 10,000 miles per crash. Not that the number really mean that much but if every 1k, many of us would have given this sport up by now.

I did some pavement surfing about a month ago when I forgot that water freezes at 32*F. Some spotty road rash. Not any big deal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
2 weeks ago

bonked hard on a ride and was trying to draft a strong mtb'er but squirrely road rider. he stood up, his bike kicked back, i was looking down, and slammed right into him. i went down hard on my left elbow.

final damage: bruised ribs, bruises on both knees (looks like i smacked both knees into my dropouts!), minor road rash on my left arm (thanks to my long sleeve polypro) and a whopping hematoma on my left elbow - bruising goes from 2" above my elbow down to my wrist. no broken bones and only minor scratches to the bike.

i'm hoping that takes care of my pavement surfing for this year.

rt

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Invisible fence installers were at the house Saturday morning...

biknben said:
Did you forget a zero? I've heard 10,000 miles per crash. Not that the number really mean that much but if every 1k, many of us would have given this sport up by now.
I did some pavement surfing about a month ago when I forgot that water freezes at 32*F. Some spotty road rash. Not any big deal.

...two and a half days late.

I thought I heard "you'll wreck every 1,ooo mi" here. I've only been riding on the road for three years and counting all of my incidents I'm about right on. This includes a few falls in the parking lot with the feet stuck in the pedals, gentle off road excursions that result in flats, and a a guy who came out of his pedals, lost his balance and took me down as he fell across my rear wheel. I was lumping them all in to buy myself some additional accident free miles. Perhaps, and hopefully, I was off.

As far as the injury thing goes, I could post pics of my road rash (I replaced my camera already) but I'll spare you. Working injury claims (especially in Massachusetts) has really opened my eyes as to the lengths people will go through to exagerate their injuries to maximize an insurance settlement. Many work harder at malingering and treating than they ever would at a real job.

I know that this has been discussed here before so I'll avoid that can of worms. I'm not seriously hurt so I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tegaderm

Sorry to hear about your crash. I live in Austin and I swear this is the loose dog capital of North America. I am constantly doing unplanned sprint intervals avoiding dogs. I crashed about a month ago in the rain. My own fault as I hit a corner pretty quick and was kind of daydreaming, not paying attention to the conditions and down I went. If you have not discovered it, let me turn you on to the god send that is Tegaderm. You can get it a Walgreens but likely you need to go to a hospital supply store to get big enough sheets to cover your road rash. Within a week you will be in much better shape.

·
Registered
140 Posts
second that!!

Flatlander said:
Sorry to hear about your crash. I live in Austin and I swear this is the loose dog capital of North America. I am constantly doing unplanned sprint intervals avoiding dogs. I crashed about a month ago in the rain. My own fault as I hit a corner pretty quick and was kind of daydreaming, not paying attention to the conditions and down I went. If you have not discovered it, let me turn you on to the god send that is Tegaderm. You can get it a Walgreens but likely you need to go to a hospital supply store to get big enough sheets to cover your road rash. Within a week you will be in much better shape.
tegaderm is the best!! it makes showering with road rash a MUCH less painful experience....almost pleasant even.

i've been buying it at CVS and just patching together a big enough sheet to cover my wounds. it's not ideal but it works ok. the suggestion to go to a hospital supply store for bigger sheets of it is a good one.

rt

·
Registered
494 Posts
mtb wreck (xpost from mtbr.com)

This was my first crash of the year:

Yard Sale GAP Race

by Trish Albert

Race: Yard Sale
Place: Heritage Park, Farmington, GA
Speed: Fast
Time: 45 seconds
Distance: about a quarter of a mile

It was a gorgeous day for a mountain bike race with temperatures in the 60's and sunshine. Several hundred riders were present for the kick off to the GAP series at Heritage Park in Farmington, GA. The venue provides a great place for a mountain bike race with a covered pavilion, a well maintained trail, and several good spectator areas. The course started out with a 1/2 mile very fast sprint down a dirt road, into the singletrack, back onto the dirt road, and finally into the singletrack and down several switchbacks. The singletrack was tight and had many roots and a small creek crossing. The trail then followed a creek for about 1/2 mile before climbing back up on an old logging road. It then dipped back down into singletrack with several small "v" ditches that required the rider to power through and "float" up the other side, lest an endo happen. The course then came back out onto gently climbing doubletrack before dipping briefly back down into the singletrack again. The main obstacle on this part of the trail was a bridge that came on a sharp right hand turn. The trail then went through a field for a very roadie power section followed by two flying doubletrack downhills. The course then headed back up a short, steep climb and into a grassy field for the final sprint down a gravel road. The finish line was under the pavilion.

Riders do a parade lap around a field on a gravel road. I lined up with the other Super Sport rider--an all ladies field. This was a first for the Super Sport Category. With the starting "GO!" I was off quickly and took the lead. It looked like the parks department had put down new gravel. It was very thick and "washy" under my tires. I had too much speed and tried to slow myself down. Going into the first turn, I knew I was in trouble. The next thing I knew, I was sliding on my left hand side, nearly taking Natasha down. She was able to get around me. I hopped back on the bike and looked down at what I thought were a few scrapes. Instead, I saw a gaping hole in my knee. Within seconds, I could not put any pressure on my knee. The Sport Women began coming around me. I tried to get off to the left, so as not to be in the way. I hate ILT's in spin class, but they came in handy. I unclipped my injured and bleeding right leg and spun with my left leg over to the friend that was with me. Together, we found the paramedics. They cleaned out the wound but suggested that I go to the emergency clinic and get it stitched up. With my friend's help, I got back to my car.

I ended up in the emergency clinic with several stitches to the deep cut on my right knee. It is very swollen. I imagine that I will be off the bike for a few days. The doctor stitched it with slightly looser stitches, so that I don't pull them out when I get back on the bike. Sometimes life just throws you a curveball. Getting injured is part of racing, and you just have to go with the flow. There is always another race to get revenge at! Why does my mountain bike hate me? (Answer: I've put 1200+ miles on my road bike so far this year and about 50 miles on the mtb. It feels neglected. Maybe it won't now since it got a small tune up yesterday.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts