Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would adding 5mm to my cranks make the outside/front of my hips hurt?

Just changed the cranks on my commuter, and I've been having hip issues that I've noticed coming on for about a week or so, not too long after changing the cranks out.

Also went from a 42x16 to a 46x16, on a single speed and from 165's to 170's. Not sure if either/both of these things could be the problem.

Do you think it could be from changing my cranks and my body is adjusting after riding that bike nearly every day for a year, or is it probably something else.

To help entice an answer, here is a picture from just a couple minutes ago.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Notice the extreme righteousness of the beard.

joe

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
It is like raising your saddle a half centimeter. It may be the culprit.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigrider said:
It is like raising your saddle a half centimeter. It may be the culprit.

You know, I was trying to work out the logic in my head, because I assumed that it would have an effect on other parts of my bike set up, but I wasn't sure where to add and where to subtract. I'll try taking the saddle down a short and curly and see if that helps.

joe

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
dude, you had 165's????

aren't you like 7'12"???

i use 175's. you essentially changed your pedaling rotation by 10 mm since it's 5mm per arm. i'd lean more towards the change in gearing tho.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
5mm longer crank means lower your saddle 5mm and slide it forward on the rails 5 mm.

and yeah, that could be the cause, since it also means your foot is higher at the top, and your hips are more closed at that point.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
A small muscle tear or strain.........multiplied by 90+ rotations per minute, for a couple of hours a day.........yea....that kind of change would do it.

len

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
Creakyknees said:
5mm longer crank means lower your saddle 5mm and slide it forward on the rails 5 mm.

and yeah, that could be the cause, since it also means your foot is higher at the top, and your hips are more closed at that point.

Off the top of my head, I don't think you would move the saddle foward a full 5mm. Because of the angles your legs create I think it would be less than 5mm.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
bigrider said:
Off the top of my head, I don't think you would move the saddle foward a full 5mm. Because of the angles your legs create I think it would be less than 5mm.
if you're following conventional KOPS wisdom, yeah 5mm is what you'd do. KOPS ignores the "back" leg and positions from the "power" leg.

whether that's right or best, I'm open to debate, but it's the usual way.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Creakyknees said:
if you're following conventional KOPS wisdom, yeah 5mm is what you'd do. KOPS ignores the "back" leg and positions from the "power" leg.

Hmm, seems like you'd have to take the angle of the seat tube into account. But I actually have no idea.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Len J said:
A small muscle tear or strain.........multiplied by 90+ rotations per minute, for a couple of hours a day.........yea....that kind of change would do it.

len

Smart arse.

:p

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
El Caballito said:
nice jersey!

Thanks! I love it... it's fairly thick, perfect for cool So. Cal. evenings. And looks good to!

joe

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
i vote for dropping the seat 5, and then seeing where you land on the bars
to determine how much to adjust the seat fore/aft(prolly not much.)

hip flexor pain is from too closed of included angle made by thigh and torso.

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
Creakyknees said:

You get a "you are right coupon" from me. But only on this one subject and for today only. :D

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I think that this should photo should give you some starting points on fit.

That's definitely a place to start, I'd just drop the saddle 5 and try it from there. I'm pretty tolerant of a bit of fore/aft adjustment but really sensitive to height. And I think your symptoms would be more indicative of a height problem.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VaughnA said:
I think that this should photo should give you some starting points on fit.

That's definitely a place to start, I'd just drop the saddle 5 and try it from there. I'm pretty tolerant of a bit of fore/aft adjustment but really sensitive to height. And I think your symptoms would be more indicative of a height problem.

Thank gawd it's not a length problem :eek: :eek: :p

joe

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
It's none of the above. The sad truth is, you're getting older, and you're feeling it. It's just pure coincidence that it happened when you changed your gear.
:p :lol:

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
you cahnged a lot of stuff, so it could be a lot of things. it could even come down to a slight change in cleat/pedal setup. adding new cranks, while a small change many people think doesnt matter, can open up a finicky rider to all sorts of problems.

i cant believe nobody said:
"yer seats too high!"

JoeDaddio said:
Thank gawd it's not a length problem :eek: :eek: :p
thats what she said.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.