Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Scott in Maryland
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi from Maryland. I am looking for a bike in the $2000K - $2800 ran, and have demo'd Giant OCR-2 (Rival), C'dale Six13-1 (D+U Shimano mix), Scott CR1 (Team and Pro). I am also very interested in the CC Ridely Excal since I kind of prefer SRAM to Shimano functionality, and like the reports I hear about RIdley in this joint. Plus the guys at CC have been pro's as I've worked with them for information.

My question is on frame size. I am 6-2 with a 36" inseam, but rather than get into digits, I'll stick to concepts. On the CC fit system, I size up to a 585 top tube. But on the bikes I've actually ridden / tested, I've really liked the extra head tube (220+, aka Cervelo RS) that comes from the larger frames with ~ 600 top tube as compared with a standard 58 frame. Back in the day I was riding with 80mm of drop, but I've decided breathing and seeing out in front of me beats aero all over.

So here's the question: Can I get the "bigger" XL / 60 frame and just use a "shorter" 90mm stem, or should I stick with the smaller frame and use spacers to get the higher virtual head tube to on the L / 58 frame. If I use a 90mm stem, will that pull my wieght back from over the front wheel and screw up the bike's balance, or is 20cm nothing to care about for a guy who is just trying to get his tri-pace up to about 18 MPH?

Return favor tip - If you ever get to Munich, run or ride the English Garden Park. 12 mile loop with all kinds of humanity going on.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
advice...

Do not buy an overly large frame and put a 90mm stem on it. If you really can't hack an 8cm drop, then use a higher rise stem if you have to. If you flip a stem, it becomes about one size shorter, horizontally, killing two birds with one stone. Flipping an 84 degree stem to 96 degrees adds about 2cm to the height and flipping and 80 adds over 3cm. To me, it looks kind of dumb, but I see more flipped up stems these days than "normal" ones.

FWIW, at age 55, I've currently got over 10cm of drop and I'm only 5'-6" tall. It's all a matter of what you get used to.

Don't just compare the TT length. If the seat tube angle is different on one model, the steeper (numerically larger) angle adds 1cm per degree to the reach.

I would not put ANY faith in the results of any online fit calculator. Get a real fitting if you plan to spend a lot on a new bike.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm 6'0 but with a 36" inseam, i have a 61cm (592mm TT, 200mm HT) Soloist with a 120mm stem (5mm of spacer) however it results in 14cm of saddle-bar drop, i figure with a Cervelo RS i could run the same setup and be more upright. If you get a 58 you're going to have a _lot_ of seatpost sticking out and will need over 30mm of spacer _and_ a flipped stem. Good luck, you're definitely going to need a fit session it seems.

·
Scott in Maryland
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Function, Thanks ....

... that's kind of what I think. I ride a big (Specialized SJ size XL) mountain bike and dig it, and 60 looks right to me.... but the fit calculators keep spec'ing 58. I appreciate your opinion and taking the time to weigh in.

Anyone - What't the downside to a little big as opposed to a little small?

·
Squalor
239 Posts
I've got real long legs for my height. 91cm cycling inseam and just under 6'1".

I run a long tt and larger frame to get a higher ht to use less spacers. I also use a 90mm x 90deg stem.

Bike handles fine.

Ran a 120mm x 80 deg stem for about a year. It didn't feel too bad either. Current setup feels better I think.

I would like to have a shorter TT and longer HT and run a 110mm stem and less spacers, but that would require a new bike. Not necessarily a bad thing, but pretty hard to justify when mine rides well.

Something out there will fit you. Keep looking and comparing geo numbers.

Also do pay attention to C40's note re: STA. Greatly overlooked in the fitting process in my opinion.

Good luck.

LP

·
Registered
400 Posts
I also have long legs for my height. On many of the fit calculators I'm between sizes and I usually go up to get the head tube height. At 6ft I have an 88.5cm inseam, I'm riding a Ridley L with a 90 stem flipped up. This set-up gives me 6.5 cm drop and no problems with bike handling. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.