Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at several bikes...one bike that interests me as I wish to do some triathlons is the kestrel talon...it is very aero and can easily be converted to a tri bike even in the road version guise...

But here is what bothers me about it:

I am 5'10" with an inseam of about 31...long torso...I usually ride a 54. I have testridden a couple of bikes that are 55s and they are fine, but maybe not the best choice. The last time I tried a 56 it was clearly too big.

This bike comes sized in 52 and 55, with nothing in between. I am told it runs big. So, it seems I have to choose something really cramped for upper body, and lower body as well, or too big for both.

I am told, and I keep reading, that fit is the most important thing in a bike. SO I am left wondering what Kestrel was thinking...or am I being too concerned about this? :idea: :confused:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Where are you located? If you're in Southern California, then look no further than here:
http://www.nytro.com/index.cfm/landing-pages/2010-tri-package-nytro-exclusive/

$2000 gets you the bike and a full Tri kit.

Furthermore, most of their employees are really good fitters, so I'd suggest shooting them an email or giving them a call (they're much better if you call them). They should sort you out pretty well.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
sealdavid said:
This bike comes sized in 52 and 55, with nothing in between. I am told it runs big. So, it seems I have to choose something really cramped for upper body, and lower body as well, or too big for both.
The size numbers 55 cm and 52 cm are vertical dimensions, which really don't matter all that much anymore. What you (and possibly a competent fitter) need to look at are the horizontal dimensions of the Kestrel Talon. The jumps between these more critical dimensions is not that great, which increases the possiblity of a good fit for you. For example, the differences between two horizontal dimensions on the nominal 55 cm and 52 cm frame are:

- top tube: 55.6 and 53.3 = 2.3 cm difference
- front center: 58.6 and 57.5 = 1.1 cm difference

Forget the frame size numbers you "usually ride". They can be misleading at best and are completely meaningless at worst.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
wim said:
Forget the frame size numbers you "usually ride". They can be misleading at best and are completely meaningless at worst.
This is the correct information. I got fit by a great person before I bought my last bike. Then we started looking at the frames that would fit me. Look at the real geometry numbers of the bike not just the sizes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked at the bike in person. No way to make me fit it in a 55 or a 52 without any serious compromise. It is a no-go.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Did you actually ride the bike in a Tri configuration with aero bars? It is significantly different than your positioning on a typical Road bike. I am 5' 11", though my inseam is slightly longer than you. My first TT bike was built on a Kestrel Talon SL and it was the 55, my current TT bike is an Orbea Ora with a 54.5 TT measurement. I used the same "cockpit" on both with a 90mm stem and Vision Large areo bars. The Orbea actually fits me better than the Kestrel did.
If you haven't actually tried the Kestrel in the aero position, you may want to before dismissing it as a possible choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts