Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe c-40 or Dave Hickey can help here:

I have always lusted after a 381/481 and have an opportunity on ebay. However, and I know we have batted this one around a bit but the last 2 "pro" shops I have been in, talking with what appears qualified employees, has me informed that if you increase STA you effectively decrease your reach; all other data points being equal. I thought it was the other way around; more laid back STA ( 72.5) compared to more upright angel (74) will decrease reach.

Height- 5'8
cycling inseam- 83 cm

current ride:
ST- 48 cm (c-c) slight compact
TT- 54 cm- virtual
STA- 73.5
HTA- 72
HTL- 14 cm
Handle bar reach- 78 cm (back of saddle to middle of bar)
Saddle Height - 72 cm
Ritchey 110 (84 degree) with 2.5 cm of spacers

Look 481: 53 cm (c-c)
TT-54.8
STA- 72.5
HTA- 72
HTL-14.3

My main concern is that the Look might be too long. But if a more laid back STA does truly reduce reach than I think I'm on the right size. I would be gaining .8 cm in TT and losing 1 degree of STA which makes this a wash???

Thanks for the advice and if you have comments, pos/neg, on the 481 let em rip.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
about the same...

Your local shop guys are confused. A slack STA decreases reach, for a given saddle position relative to the BB. With the 481, you'll need to move the saddle forward about 1cm to make up for the 1 degree difference in the STA. This forward movement of the saddle decreases the reach.

This situation confuses a lot of people because they think of what happens if nothing is changed except making the STA steeper. This would decrease reach, only if the rider was positioned further forward, relative to the BB. Fit comparisons are always made with the rider in the same position relative to the BB.

To compare the vertical size of the LOOK, the head tube length will be 158mm with the headset and no spacers. FWIW, my saddle height is also 72cm, but I ride a 51cm, with 1cm of spacer under an 84 degree stem. The total head tube length with headset and spacers is 145mm. The top of my bars is 87cm above the ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts