Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of a recent I have been feeling a bit scrunched up on the bike. I feel I could extend my reach and flatten my back a bit more. When I first got the bike it was painful to be in the drops for more than 5 minutes, but now I've ridden about 300 miles on the bike and my back has loosened up a fair bit. I just feel like I could move my handlebars further forward or something, and that my back could be flatter.
So what options do I have?
New, longer stem?
Move my seat back (aft)?
Move my stem down (i.e. take one of the spacers out and put it on top)?
Others?
Thanks....

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Try adjusting the spacers before you blow money on a new stem. Stem is next, though. Save the old one in case this happens next year and you need time to adjust to stretching out.

The seat shouldn't be used to adjust reach, it's for adjusting the muscles you use in your legs...I just learned that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
After you ride 3000 miles, you'll [hopefully] have zero spacers, your stem longer and flipped down. Yes, start w/ putting the spacers on top & or flipping your stem downward - after a few rides if you're OK w/ that, chop your steerer off so it's flush (obviously committing) - then you can start thinking @ longer stems.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my stem is already flipped down. I think im gonna start with taking spacers out, there are 3 in there, plus one cone one, although I think thats part of the integrated headset perhaps.....? I don't know. Anyways I'm gonna pull one of the spacers for my next ride, then another, and then the last if need be to see if it does anything. I spent a few quick minutes on my trainer experimenting, and it did not seem to have a huge effect on my body position using a mirror and also by feel. I'm gonna run to my lbs tmrw and talk to them about it, see what they have to say.

any other tips?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i pulled one of the spacers, then two, still didnt really do anything. Went to the shop, they are letting my try out a 110mm 8 degree stem (vs my 100mm 7degree) for the weekend (my races). I was surprised they let me do that, but i'm not complaining. we'll see how this goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts