Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya.

I'm 5'7 & weigh about 195 right now. I'm not gonna say things like "i'm fit but only 40lbs over weight" but i'm making steady progress.. 2 years ago i was 250 and thru some excercise and my wife's better diet [which i more or less adapted] i've gotten to 220, and since starting road biking last july i'm down to the 195 now. happy as hell, but would love to take off another 20 and reshape what i got.

i'm never going to be skinny. i can tell from my knees/akles/elbows that my frame is just "skinny type"

I'm currently doing between 5 and 8 hours or riding a week which translates to about 150 to 200km's.

I want to add more to my regimen, namly something like a 3 times a week workout to round out my upper body, and namly my abs. I've got a pretty good gut on me. The center muscles of it are in pretty good shape [i'll explain that in a minute] but the outers are pretty horrible.

Can anyone recommend some decent sites out there to build up a workout like this ? I'd prefer to do it at home, and probably either with my own body weight [i love pushups] and/or dumbbells.

Now about the center muscles of my stomach. I did traditional karate for about 8 years. There is a breathing excercise we used to do, that would effectivly excercise the diaphram for a variety of reasons. [some of which are likly hokey legends :)] none the less, this excercise has caused me to have a very deveoped diaphram so the top of my stomach area will probably always stick out. ... now here's the kicker after my "great" explanation.. is this in my head and just a sympton of my underlying fat, or .. is it actually quite developed and likly to stay that size.. weird question i know

Long post. yikes. okay. fire away.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Congratulations on losing weight. It's a lot of work but it's worth it.

Doing ab exercises is a good thing for cyclists. Cycling strenghens the back but not the abs, so you get out of balance unless you do ab work. I've seen older cyclists who were sway-backed from weak abs and overdeveloped back muscles. Having a stronger core means that you are stable and have a better platform for your legs/glutes to work against.

But ab exercises won't make your belly fat go away. Losing body fat is the only way to do that.

Most cyclists have funny looking bodies... wierd bits sticking out, leg veins, "too skinny", "too fat", etc. No matter how fast we are, riders all whine about how they'd like to lose 10 lbs, gain 10 lbs, or redistribute 10 lbs. The important thing is to enjoy your riding.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
have had similar struggles over the years

For me the best workouts for losing weight have included exercises where body weight is the biggest problem. Riding reps on steep hills, stair climbing, depth jumps, running, pull-ups, dips, and other exotic pushups have helped the most, but ultimately it's about eating less. If you find an easier answer, please advise!

·
Banned
657 Posts
Ok, you guy knew I would jump in here with this: I recommend weight training the upper body every 3 days with relatively light weights & high reps. Muscle uses more maintenance calories than fat pound for pound. You can do it all w/ dumb bells. 3 sets of each exercise w/ at least 15 reps per set & a full minute between each set. Definitely do ab exercises too. I've trained several folks your age w/ great results. Private me if you would like a routine - I promise I won't hurt you!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Other suggestions I can add from personal experience.

Drink LOTS of water, minimum 48 oz per day, and more if you are cycling alot. Americans are typically chronically dehydrated. Often times, people's hunger pangs are due to dehydration. Instead of grabbing a snack, chug a 12 oz glass. Drink a large glass of water BEFORE meals. Don't use sodas, diet sodas, iced tea, etc., ONLY water. FOr us older folks (I'm 45), it also has benefits in keeping us "regular", which was becoming an issue for me a few years ago. Along that line, best foods to eat are fresh fruits and veggies, and whole grain carbs (and beer of course).

Since I have been biking more regularly with the better weather, I have lost about 5 lbs, I am 5'9" 155 now.

I also agree on the upper body weight training. Most pro bikers look funny, from the waist down they look like body builders, but from the waist up like adolescent boys. Unless you are riding competitively, I think developing some tone and physique up top helps appearances.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
venus : shoot me an email [email protected] , my PM button is all kajiggered up.

rugger: i chonically don't drink enough water. but i'll start. i've been told to do it a million times, no idea why i don't listen. even when i do a 50k ride, i often don't finish my 750ml bottle of water on teh bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.