Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a road bike and have come across a problem when trying to fit the front brake, my bikes a GT zr2000 Carrera and has carbon forks and I'm fitting Campag Veloce brakes, prob i have is the mounting bolt is to short to go through the forks, the brake i have had the mid-size nut so i aquired the longest 24mm one but still no good, it does'nt quite reach. HELP! somebody.
many thanks
grm

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Your LBS should be able to get the proper recessed fork nut. If they say that they can't, then it's time to find another shop.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Even longer one

grm said:
I'm in the process of building a road bike and have come across a problem when trying to fit the front brake, my bikes a GT zr2000 Carrera and has carbon forks and I'm fitting Campag Veloce brakes, prob i have is the mounting bolt is to short to go through the forks, the brake i have had the mid-size nut so i aquired the longest 24mm one but still no good, it does'nt quite reach. HELP! somebody.
many thanks
grm
I guess I'll start by assuming that you haven't mixed up the front and rear calipers (the front caliper has a longer mounting bolt). Are you sure that the caliper bolt and the nut are inserted all the way? Sometimes there is some flashing left in the brake hole in a brand new fork that prevents the bolt or nut from being fully inserted. Also, some front brake calipers come with washers on the bolt (flat, curved, or serrated), so perhaps these can be removed so the bolt can be inserted further.

Most carbon forks come with the extra-long nut required to fit the brake, but I guess your's didn't. You might need to get a nut even longer than the 24mm nut you have, like this 30mm nut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks but

yes i have got the brakes on the right ends and have checked the fork plus there's only one seratted washer on the brake which i geuss should be fitted to stop things moving around and it's veryt slim. the bolt just does'nt quite reach the nut so may well try the 30mm option. seems strange thought that Campag brakes don't fit as standard.

grm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts