Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask this question. I'M a new Fixie (loving it)...but I purchased a bike without a lock ring?? I'm not into skids and fancy tricks...just using it to build power in my strokes on the road... that's about it. Do I really need it.??

Thank you

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
What is your setup. Do you have an old freewheel hub? Some people use locktite and run them without a lockring.

The general consensus is you are playing roulette if you don't use a lockring.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
haven't had one on my Bianchi-ever. I couldn't get it on when I got it and just gave up. Guys @ my lbs said I wouldn't need it. thousands of miles later, I'm golden...

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Do a search.... seriously, this gets asked once a week.

THEY ARE A WHOLE $8! This isn't going to break the bank if you get one.

If you treasure your pretty face, then I'd say it's a good investment.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
mine-

talentous said:
Just wanted to ask this question. I'M a new Fixie (loving it)...but I purchased a bike without a lock ring?? I'm not into skids and fancy tricks...just using it to build power in my strokes on the road... that's about it. Do I really need it.??

Thank you
no lock ring.
Blue Loc-tite.
skids.
No problems.

YMMV.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
While i was on a long ride with many hills I had my cog come "slightly" loose when applying back pressure to slow down , and that was with a lock ring. - it wan't catostraphic, but it was a bit unnerving.

Note - this was on brand new set of wheels and the lock ring wasn't tight enough.

I'm not a big "skid" rider, but I don't think it I would ride without one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Guess I'll be the voice of reason here. Ever watch someone's cog spin off on a skid? It ain't pretty. There is no reason to not put a lockring on a fixie, except economics. But look, a new hub with step threads for a lockring will set you back a whole 50 bucks, and that's if you buy a Surly. I think a Sugoi can be had for half that. You can do what you like, but my life and well-being are worth going the distance to build it right. Flame away.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigrider said:
What is your setup. Do you have an old freewheel hub? Some people use locktite and run them without a lockring.

The general consensus is you are playing roulette if you don't use a lockring.

Bigrider... I was told it is a free wheel hub.. I'm going to look into the locktite. I tried to upload photos... but was not going through...

Thank you all for your comments

·
Registered
195 Posts
i can't believe there are so many posts here that said no lockring was ok. of course you need a lockring, the only time riders ride without them is on the track where there should be no backpedalling whatsoever anyways. in my 3 years of fixed gears on the street and meeting people who have ridden them for 10 years + i have never encountered a serious rider without a lockring. get one!

·
Registered
499 Posts
A lock-ring is a good idea, Espessialy if you learn to ride without your brake unless its an emergecy. Even while training on hills I managed to break the cog loose a few times ( with loc-tite ) and you wind up having to play catch up before it completely comes off and possibly leaves you bleeding.

If you have a normal freewheel style hub just use a BB locring with loctite. If you have a real track hub lots of online sites sell reverse thred locrings for cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Left side drive and No lockring

I ran no lockring for about a month until a wheel I ordered had arrived. I had a Surly 1x1 hub w/o lockring threads. Flipped it over and ran it on the left side drive (amazingly chainline was good). It worked ok, slipped loose everynow and then when taking off at a stop light, but I figured it was safer to not be able to take off, than it would to have a cog spin on me trying to stop. No brakes + No lockring = gonna eat sh!t.

·
Endure26
175 Posts
A true track hub is undercut with another set of threads that allows a lockring to spin on in the opposite direction of the cog (counter clockwise). If it's a freewheel hub, it will not have the undercut threads. For the freewheel hub, you can use the lockring off the left/adjustable cup of an English thread bottombracket. Thread the cog onto the hub and then thread the BB lockring on top of the cog. The threads will thread on the same way. Lock it down tight and your golden. Never hurts to put a couple of drops of blue Loctite on the thread too. Your LBS should be able to provide the BB lockring off an old BB for little to no charge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.