Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Felt F65 on CL in good condition. I went on three rides without problems. on the fourth ride (also first time with clipless pedals) i crashed coming to a stop forgetting to unclip first. i didn't get hurt but my rear derailleur snapped.

i have matching ultegra components and when i took a closer look the part that snapped is RD-6600.

i was just going to get a new part on ebay and my friend advised me to get another bike because
1. other parts of bike might be old
2. derailleur speed might not match (9 speed vs. 10 or 11)
3. might need new chain or cassette.

i got a great deal on a bike and since i just started riding, i want to use this bike as training wheels then get a nicer bike when i get better.

thoughts on replacing the derailleur vs. the bike?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
No need to replace the whole bike. Are you sure it's the der and not the replaceable hanger that broke? Take a close look and see if that's the case. If so just swing by your felt dealer and get a new hanger.
Might just want to have a shop look at it for safety's sake.

Bill

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Does your friend buy a new car when his tires wear out? I mean, the rest of the car might be old, and the oil could need changing, and he might buy the wrong size tires, or . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.