Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noticng lately that it was taking several tries to clip my right shoe onto the Speedplay Zero pedal. I inspected it last night after my ride and see the C clip inside the cleat is very loose, whereas the left one is still very tight.

Is there a way to fix that C clip, or do I need new cleats? I have a new pair in a box, but if I can fix this one (it's 3 seasons old) I'd prefer to do that.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
See if the 4 screws that secure the top metal plate are loose.

Do you have issues with clipping in/out?

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Cleat springs

keppler said:
I was noticng lately that it was taking several tries to clip my right shoe onto the Speedplay Zero pedal. I inspected it last night after my ride and see the C clip inside the cleat is very loose, whereas the left one is still very tight.

Is there a way to fix that C clip, or do I need new cleats? I have a new pair in a box, but if I can fix this one (it's 3 seasons old) I'd prefer to do that.
As noted by frdfandc, your cleat screws might be loose, allowing the cleat to move and letting the spring flop around. Note that there are two sets of screws - the four screws visible on the cleat, and then three more screws that hold the cleat base to the shoe. Beyond that, you may have a broken cleat spring, which means new cleats.

IIRC Speedplay used to sell replacement cleat springs, but I don't think they do that anymore. Once the spring is broken, the assumption is that the cleat is probably seriously worn as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use Speedplays as well, and check the yellow part of the cleat. Its plastic and wears out. This is what goes wrong typically and makes it a little more difficult to clip in. I noticed on both my shoes/cleats that on the outside portion there is a plastic piece on the yellow portion of the cleat that keeps the c-clip pushed back and allows you to be able to clip in better. Thats the part that wears. Just keeping using them! I have, and there has been no other issues except for trying to clip in a few more times.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I use Speedplays as well, and check the yellow part of the cleat. Its plastic and wears out.
+1 Those very flimsy tabs in the yellow plastic hold the spring in place. If they're sheared or worn out, the spring will move around.

(it's 3 seasons old)
Speedplay recommends changing them every 5000 miles, which in my experience, is about right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Remove the 4 screws and the metal cap. See if there is a groove in the under side of metal cap from where the spring rubs. That is what wears on my right cleat. The only solution to that groove is to buy new cleats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts