1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Time RXS pedals with centered float for the past two years
and have been plagued with medial knee tendonitis. I have had a partial medial
meniscotomy in the affected knee. With so much press on
the benefits of float for knees, I was reluctant to try anything else but desperation
forces my hand. I have ordered the new Dura-Ace 7810 with the red fixed cleat.
Does anyone have any personal experience or could there be any validity to
my theory that having my heels moving around is irritating knee stabilizing
tendons? I have already been professionally fitted and don't think trusting
my instincts alone is sufficient.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
phoehn9111 said:
the benefits of float for knees, I was reluctant to try anything else but desperation
Yes . . . I can't use Time pedals either (too much float). I switched to the fixed look cleat and things cleared up. A little later I got a cross bike and tried the Time Atax . . . again my knees started to hurt, and I swithed to SPD, and to my surprise my knees don't hurt even with the rotation, It seems the side to side float got me for some reason.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Go gently

phoehn9111 said:
I use Time RXS as well, but I am used the float as I have used Time pedals for the past 12 or 13 years.

I would suggest that you first set up your D/A pedals using the yellow cleats to give you some wiggle-room. Get them set up so that when you are riding you are more or less in the middle of the float range (rotationally). Once you have that sorted out, then mount the red cleats in the same position as that will be your "preferred position"

Go easy on your first few rides with the new pedals/cleats. I have had one bad injury episode from switching shoes/pedals and going too hard/long too quickly.

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
Another option are the Speedplay Zeros which allow you to adjust the cleat float from very wide to completely fixed. That way you could nail it down to the level just right for you. The adjustment can also be different for inwards and outwards float too.

I ride fixed (or did prior to injury) and preferred it but 90% don't. Mine are Campag Pro-fit pedals. It will be fun to find out what I will be better off with post injury.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I ride the red cleats with the 7810 pedals and what I do is to loosen off the cleat tension bolt a good bit, even beyond what shimano recommends, and this induces a tiny bit of float. It's nowhere near the amount you get with the yellow cleat but it's enough to help you out. It mainly comes into play when I am out of the saddle. I have not had any issues with cleat retention doing this, both on the 7810 and the previous 7800 pedals.

I was a float user for about 15 years and having used the fixed setup for the last year, I would never go back. My feet feel so much more stable and there is such a greater feeling of power. I love it.

Depending on your biomechanics, it may take you a little while to dial your red cleats in to the exact position they need to be. Give it time and be patient. For me, the tiniest adjustment can make a world of difference.

Good luck.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I've been using black Look cleats for 20 years. Before that, I used deep cleats with double straps. Back around 1990, I tried some Look cleats with some float. Within a few weeks, I went back to fixed......That is all.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Same here.

Within a few weeks, I went back to fixed......That is all
Slotted cleats and straps until 1989. Then 4 weeks of banana-peel float Time pedals/cleats, which caused great pain. After that fiasco, nothing but fixed black Look cleats. Two points:

- fixed works for me, may not for you,
- careful cleat rotational adjustment is crucial. Listen to what your body tells you while riding with power. Rotational cleat adjustment according to 'how your feet hang when sitting on a desk' or 'the angle of your foot prints left in wet sand' is a bad joke.

·
Registered
90 Posts
phoehn9111 said:
could there be any validity to
tendons?
No.

Most of your joints are multi-plane. You are trying to move a crank that is fixed plane. Your body has to compensate somehow. Unless you tighten the crap out of your shoes, your multiple foot joints, ankle joint, knee, hip, and back joints are all going to do whatever they can to turn the crank. You might find that you're irritating a different joint.

Unless you've been riding around ALOT over a LONG period of time in a bad position, I fail to see why biking/cleat type would require a partial medial meniscetomy (and probably chondroplasty). Did you see the pictures? Did your orthopedist explain what and why your problem happened?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apologies for the misunderstanding, the meniscotomy took place many years ago pursuant to a football injury. The whole reason I have decided to re-try fixed cleats
is that I had no problems back in the day with dettos notched with straps. Thanks for the great input. I will be sure to heed the advice when installing and testing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.