Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have a Surly Cross Check that is currently being run 1x9, but I want to run fixed for road riding and SS for CX racing in the fall. I've never built up a fixed gear before, so I wanted to solicit comments from the ones who know all.

Anywho, I've been looking to do this cheap.

I've heard good things and been looking at either the On-One Double Fixed 135 mm or Surly 135 mm hubs. The spacing on the Cross-Check is 132.5 I believe, for either mountain or road hubs, but too wide for track hubs. I'll probably have one laced up to an open pro for road and something tubular for cross later.

I'm not sure what kind of crank to run up front. The On-One hub above says it gives a 50 mm chainline, but I'm not sure about the Surly, nor am I sure about how to match the crank/BB chainline to that of the hub.

Right now I have a triple crankset up front, it's like Sora level, it came out of a closet with a 46t and a 53t sitting outside and a third-eye inside. The arms are longer than I'd like to run at 175mm I believe and also the innermost ring spider makes it a PITA if you throw a chain.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments about how to match up chainline that would be great thanks. Any comments from someone who has built up a fixed Cross-check would be awesome.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Either the On-One or Surly hubs will work fine.

To match the chainline, measure from the center of the teeth on the outer and middle chainrings to the center of the seat tube. This will give you the chainlines of your current crank setup. If either are close to the hub chainline, there you go. If neither are, look for a cheap old double crank and see if that works. You might have to get another bottom bracket with a wider/narrower spindle width.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's What I am Running...

I built up a fixed/free wheel for my Cross Check last Fall. I used the Surly 135mm hub and the Salsa Delgado Cross rim. I raced all season using a 38 up front and a 17 freewheel in back. I had a 15 fixed on the other side for commuting and was able to switch back and forth without trouble. I, like you, had a cheapo tripple lying around and used that as the crank arm. With the ring in the outermost position, the chainline is pretty perfect. I can give you some exact measurements if you really need them. Anyways, you shouldn't have too much trouble what ever you decide. Hope that helps!

Here are some horrible pics of the chainline, if that helps. Pardon the dirt :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts