Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've now heard from a fairly reliable source that there'll be a Single Speed 'Cross Chapionship this year in Portland.
I know a few of you race 'cross on your fixes, and I'm hoping someone could tell me about their dismount technique.
Thanks, and I'll post more info as it comes available.

Los

·
Registered
656 Posts
sslos said:
So, I've now heard from a fairly reliable source that there'll be a Single Speed 'Cross Chapionship this year in Portland.
I know a few of you race 'cross on your fixes, and I'm hoping someone could tell me about their dismount technique.

Los
Too bad you're still not in San Diego. You could have just watched Tony Smith tear up the Men's 'A' field in 'cross, on his fixed Kelly, and learned everything. That's what I did. Oh, and a lot of practice.

Fixed dismount is the same basic way as a regular dismount but you have to be more precise with your timing.

unclip right foot

pedal with your left as you attempt to guage your distance/timing (usually two revolutions)

as left foot passes the 12:00 position, stand on your left and bring right behind the saddle.

Your right foot should be on the left side of the bike by the time your left foot passes 4:00 position.

As your left foot goes from 3:00 to 12:00 twist and unclip and let the momentum give you a boost into your run.

With a little practice it is not that hard and I actually appreciate the boost from the fixed drivetrain. Timing can be a real ***** especially when you've been going all out for 45 minutes and can't see anything but black spots.

Still enjoying your Wiley?

·
Registered
475 Posts
a little bit different approach

sslos said:

Los
I just tried racing fixed on my cross check last season, 4th season overall. I unclip the right foot at the bottom of the pedal stroke, start bringing your right leg behind the seat while ridding the left pedal up the pedal stroke, as the left leg nears 12 oklock straight up do a boosted left leg unclip and jump off the back.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Semi hijack

Anybody have some tips for fixed gear bunny-hopping? I could bunny-hop the barrier if it were a 2x4 laid on it's back but not much higher.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FTM said:
Too bad you're still not in San Diego. You could have just watched Tony Smith tear up the Men's 'A' field in 'cross, on his fixed Kelly, and learned everything. That's what I did. Oh, and a lot of practice.

Fixed dismount is the same basic way as a regular dismount but you have to be more precise with your timing.

unclip right foot

pedal with your left as you attempt to guage your distance/timing (usually two revolutions)

as left foot passes the 12:00 position, stand on your left and bring right behind the saddle.

Your right foot should be on the left side of the bike by the time your left foot passes 4:00 position.

As your left foot goes from 3:00 to 12:00 twist and unclip and let the momentum give you a boost into your run.

With a little practice it is not that hard and I actually appreciate the boost from the fixed drivetrain. Timing can be a real ***** especially when you've been going all out for 45 minutes and can't see anything but black spots.

Still enjoying your Wiley?
Thanks!
Yeah, that Tony kid's pretty freakin' amazing. But I thought he was moving back to Idaho...

The Wily's still awesome, thanks for asking. Do we know each other?

Los

·
Registered
656 Posts
sslos said:
Thanks!
Yeah, that Tony kid's pretty freakin' amazing. But I thought he was moving back to Idaho...

The Wily's still awesome, thanks for asking. Do we know each other?

Los
Didn't hear about him moving back to Idaho but I'm not really in the know.

Don't know each other exaclty just PMd a few time on MBTR about fixed mountain biking - I was considering a MC or Wiley 29er. Decided on having Curtis Inglis build me a fixed half-retrotec 'cross bike instead. I'll have to stick with the small wheels for mountain biking a while longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts