Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a cold front blow in with 25mph winds with gusts to 35mph..

Never being the sharperst knife in the drawer, Dave decides to go for a fixie ride...

I rode 12 miles north straight into the wind... There were times that I was probably turning the cranks at around 40rpms......It took and hour and 10 minutes to ride north...

The 12 miles coming back was blast...It took about 35 minutes...

pure agony followed by pure joy........:)

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
We had a cold front blow in with 25mph winds with gusts to 35mph..

Never being the sharperst knife in the drawer, Dave decides to go for a fixie ride...

I rode 12 miles north straight into the wind... There were times that I was probably turning the cranks at around 40rpms......It took and hour and 10 minutes to ride north...

The 12 miles coming back was blast...It took about 35 minutes...

pure agony followed by pure joy........:)
That we I rode the geared back on Wednesday. 25 mph steady with gust to 45 mph. on the ONLY downhill on the ride, I hit a TS of 47.8 mph. I would NOT want to do that on my 48/16 gearing. I can't imagine how many RPMs that would be. Who wants to be a wuss and ride the brakes? I guess SS would have been ok. But I was geared bike day.

Also the reason why I am not SS/FG this weekend century ride. Too much wind in the Everglades.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Have your wife pick you up 40 miles downwind, preferably at an Olive Garden.

2 birds, 1 stone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I thought my commute home from work the other day was bad and I only was riding into a 16 mph wind w/ 22 mph gusts.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A bunch of us yahoos decided to do the 45-mile Rosedale Ride yesterday, out in the farmland east of Austin, on our singlespeeds. The relentless wind was more like 35 mph, so it felt like we were riding fixed -- no coasting on the downhills! It was a nice sunny day and it was for a great cause, but my legs feel like wet noodles today. I feel your pain!

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I would rather do a long climb than ride into a steady headwind. :D

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It was windy enough for me today. But I was not on the fixed gear. I was out from 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm doing a loop [into the wind last leg] and the wind was a beating. So I get home and it's died down, I swear.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I had a windy day like that yesterday but I was on the gearie and it hurt, a lot. For some reason, I seem to notice the wind less when on the fixie.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
funny you should post this. I was thinking of you and your fixed on my ride yesterday. we had a lot of wind too and I was thinking how sucky it would've been on a fixed riding into it. i was using gears and it sucked. and for some reason i thought of you on your 3rensho riding into it. :lol:

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
can't stand it

What sucks about a head wind on a fixed gear is that you almost need to stand to push the hard gear at low rpms, but standing adds even more drag. Then, you turn around and you're spun out.

Yesterday I rode up a 2,800' climb, with a tail wind up and head wind down. That was nice. Didn't have to wear my hand out braking so hard on the way down. Sat up and acted like a parachute.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Texas wind sucks because it never dies down. My buddy and I went for a ride last night and no matter which direction we turned we hit a headwind, it was crazy! Luckily on the ride back we got a decent tailwind that we were averaging about 22mph so we got a lucky break on that.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
that sucks

Alx said:
Texas wind sucks because it never dies down. My buddy and I went for a ride last night and no matter which direction we turned we hit a headwind, it was crazy! Luckily on the ride back we got a decent tailwind that we were averaging about 22mph so we got a lucky break on that.
I'd much, much rather ride up and down 9,000' climbs than face headwinds. I've done some very long rides out in the deserts, and constant wind for hours on end is completely demoralizing.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I put an old pair of aero-bars on my fixed commuter. It's really nice to be able to lay down a little bit on windy days.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'm going out in these winds today (4/2/2009) just because they are reported to be so strong.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Winds down to 20 mph on 4-5. Got to try them fixed.

edit - I wimped out and did a 25 m. loop geared

·
Registered
31 Posts
Headwind + fixie + out-of-saddle sprints on my commute last week = severe pain in my achilles tendons, the backs of my legs and my thighs :(

Has anyone got any good advice for tendonitis? I've been treating with ibuprofen and painkillers, but the tendons are very tight and anything beyond baby-steps is quite painful.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Alx said:
Moved away from TX seven yrs ago. There are a lot of things I miss about cycling in TX. The wind...... well, it ain't on that list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts