Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a Fixed Gear with a 3/32 Drivetrain. My FG is a road bike conversion.
Here is my question:
In selecting a good, reliable chain, does width of chain link matter? I wonder if performance changes between 6, 7, 8, 9-speed chains. It appears the narrow chain links have less side-to-side play, but wonder if that matters. And, if more play is better, then would 1/8 chain be better on 3/32 drivetrain.
I hope I have described this properly, and hope this isn't repetitious. I really don't want to open a discussion of who makes the best chain.:rolleyes:

john

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Truth is, it doesn't matter much. The 1/8 chain might make a little more noise on 3/32 gears, but it will work the same. Side play is irrelevant in SS or FG -- it matters with derailleurs. MY FG's are also road conversions, I buy the least expensive 6-7-8 speed chain I can find, usually, but I've used SS chains and can't really tell the difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've used various chains, but always come back to SRAM 850-870. Solid with zero failures to-date (except once, where I realized that my chainline was waaaaaay off).

Recently, I did buy some KMC 610hx which feels pretty burley (and heavy). It's on back-up duty until the 850 wears out.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truth is, it doesn't matter much. The 1/8 chain might make a little more noise on 3/32 gears, but it will work the same. Side play is irrelevant in SS or FG -- it matters with derailleurs. MY FG's are also road conversions, I buy the least expensive 6-7-8 speed chain I can find, usually, but I've used SS chains and can't really tell the difference.
Thanks for your input.
I really like the looks of a silver finish, so I also use an 8-9 Speed silver chain, and don't mind spending a few extra bucks for it. No difference from any well maintained chain, and since I install a new chain every year, cost over 12mos is not a real factor. I do use PowerLink for easy install.
My favorite is SRAM PC-890 which has shiny silver inner and outer links, comes with PowerLink and is $25 on Amazon.
Thanks again.
john

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.