Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a slug for several weeks and haven't been riding much at all, maybe 30 to 50 miles per week.

I decided I would start commuting again a few days a week to work. I am building up a new commuter bike and have a couple other bikes hanging around I could ride.

The morning I left the house on the bike I swung my leg over my fixed gear. I didn't really think about it the night before when I picked a bike to install my light mount on the handlebars. It was almost as my body was being guided over to the fixed gear and my brain wasn't really making the decision. As I struggled up the short 9 percent hill that is the first thing I must climb when I leave my house, a thought popped in my head.

I love this bike. I love this 1970s steel fixed gear. I love the whole idea of hopping on it and knowing that there are no gears and no coasting. I love not obsessing with how fast I am going. I love the silence. I don't care if it is the least expensive bike in my arsenal. I don't care if everyone else hates it. I love riding this bike.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Indeed!

That's awesome. I, too, pften find myself finishing a ride on my fixie and thinking to myself, "I love this bike." I don't think I've ever owned one that elicited that kind of response so regularly. Those who jokingly refer to riding fixed as "going over to the dark side" have it all wrong. Fixed = enlightenment!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm fixin' to build up my first fixed gear. Your post makes me look forward to feeling some of that joy. Thanks -- I'm excited!

I hope you guys don't mind my silly questions along the way 'cause I know I'll have 'em.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Outside of my track bike, my crosser/beater/fixie is the most fun bike I own. It cost me all of $30 to build up!

·
Registered
354 Posts
My fixed gear gets alot of use-it is my only bike around town, and I also ride it on anything shorter than 1 hour. It is fun to get the legs up to speed for short bursts!

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
What is it about these bikes that does this to us? Please don't call it "zen"... you'll ruin the moment for me... more like child like joy... almost like I'm getting away with something.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Ah, but Grasshopper,

velocipede said:
What is it about these bikes that does this to us? Please don't call it "zen"... you'll ruin the moment for me... more like child like joy... almost like I'm getting away with something.
Zen is precisely ABOUT child-like joy, not to mention being in the moment.

I'm almost convinced there's something a bit deeper and more mysterious at work here. I started a thread on another forum on this topic a couple of years ago, and the discussion veered off in all kinds unexpected directions (including a lengthy digression on the Grateful Dead -- it was amazing how many Deadheads are also Phixedphreaks).

My theory (I'm open to all attempts to prove or disprove) is that it has something to do with the constant relationship between leg-speed and road-speed. When riding a fixed (like running but unlike a geared freewheeling bike), when your legs speed up you go faster, and when they slow you slow. I suspect that that factor lends itself to a kind of mind-body harmony that you don't get on the multi-geared bike. I know that once I had ridden the fixed enough to feel smooth, I could often -- and even on short rides -- get into that "zone" that runners often find, but that is less common on my other bikes.

This experience doesn't come immediately, but once I got it fixed-gear riding became very special. It's not my only bike, and it's not suitable for every ride (spinning up a long hill in a proper low gear and then screaming down the descent at 50 mph is not something I want to give up), but it's become an indispensable part of the cycling experience for me.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I too like my fixte...

bigrider said:
I don't care if it is the least expensive bike in my arsenal. I don't care if everyone else hates it. I love riding this bike.
...even though it is the most expensive (single seat) bike in my arsenal.

Like Miss M says, "It takes the thinking out of bike riding."

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MB1 said:
...even though it is the most expensive (single seat) bike in my arsenal.

Like Miss M says, "It takes the thinking out of bike riding."
Believe it or not I have thought a lot about your fixed since the DC ride. A lot of people talk about loving riding fixed but you put your money where your heart is.

I have been wondering if I ever decided to drop a bunch on a frame to buy aesthetics and function what would I buy?

Most people would buy a tricked out geared bike with the latest and lightest.

I would like to think I would be bold enough to do what you did, buy a bling bling fixed gear frame. Post a PIc.

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
JCavilia said:
Zen is precisely ABOUT child-like joy, not to mention being in the moment.

I'm almost convinced there's something a bit deeper and more mysterious at work here. I started a thread on another forum on this topic a couple of years ago, and the discussion veered off in all kinds unexpected directions (including a lengthy digression on the Grateful Dead -- it was amazing how many Deadheads are also Phixedphreaks).

My theory (I'm open to all attempts to prove or disprove) is that it has something to do with the constant relationship between leg-speed and road-speed. When riding a fixed (like running but unlike a geared freewheeling bike), when your legs speed up you go faster, and when they slow you slow. I suspect that that factor lends itself to a kind of mind-body harmony that you don't get on the multi-geared bike. I know that once I had ridden the fixed enough to feel smooth, I could often -- and even on short rides -- get into that "zone" that runners often find, but that is less common on my other bikes.

This experience doesn't come immediately, but once I got it fixed-gear riding became very special. It's not my only bike, and it's not suitable for every ride (spinning up a long hill in a proper low gear and then screaming down the descent at 50 mph is not something I want to give up), but it's become an indispensable part of the cycling experience for me.
Thanks...ruined!
I wish there was a barfing smiley
:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts