Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a very little used tandem with a free-wheel. I'm thinking about fixing it but worry about the wider range of speeds we hit with a tandem. Now I'm wondering if we could rig it up with a front derailleur and some device to take up the slack on the captain's chain to accomadate a wide range triple on the front and a fixed cog on the back.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
A shifting triple won't work.

rusa1586 said:
We have a very little used tandem with a free-wheel. I'm thinking about fixing it but worry about the wider range of speeds we hit with a tandem. Now I'm wondering if we could rig it up with a front derailleur and some device to take up the slack on the captain's chain to accomadate a wide range triple on the front and a fixed cog on the back.
I rode a track tandem once, it was a blast once we got it going but as you note the range of speeds is pretty big. I say go for it as a fixed 1 speed and just accept that it is going to be hard to start and that it will lose some top end speed potential because you are fixed. Choose your routes carefully.

With a spring in the chainline anytime the rear wheel is trying to pull the cranks (ie. you are pedaling slower than the rear wheel is moving and tension is on the bottom run of the chain) you are going to drop the chain. I'm thinking that this bent chainline with a spring in the system is also going to create a problem with dropping chains.

Still, what do I know. Give it a try, as long as you are running brakes the worst that could happen is you drop the chain, it grabs the rear wheel and locks everything up and you skid to a stop (unlike singles it is very hard to do a "Flying W" (over the bars) on a tandem).

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throwing the front chain is a scary prospect.

It's long enough to create all kinds of chaos for the stoker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts